~Assorted Chicken Egg Hatch-a-Long~

Day 7

I removed all of the infertile or dead eggs, leaving me with 7 healthy ones.

Early death and detached air cell

Infertile

Infertile

Blood Ring

This is one of the fertile, healthy ones!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Day 14

I haven't updated in a week! But so far 6 of the eggs look healthy! Since day 7 last week, the largest egg quit and turned into a reddish mess inside the egg. I left it in for a few more days just in case but now I'm thinking about throwing it out. The 6 eggs that are still alive might all make it into lockdown! The only thing I'm concerned about is that all of them have huge, lop-sided air cells because of the shipping. I increased the humidity as high as I could (It's 68%), but there are still some eggs with an air cell about half the size of the egg. I think they'll be ok, but I'm worried about shrink-wrapped chicks.

Since yesterday I've increased the turning angle from 20 degrees to 45 degrees to help with positioning so I don't get any chicks that cant pip.

I'm expecting the smallest 2 eggs to hatch on Tuesday, day 19, and the rest to hatch on Thursday, day 21.

The bad egg (Egg #1)

The 6 remaining eggs: (#2,4,5,6,8, and 10)

Healthy growing egg! (Egg #2)

Last edited:
Day 16

Since it's getting close to Lockdown day, I set up a separate incubator for hatching. My Hatcher-incubator doesn't have a fan and can hold more humidity than my regular incubator. (Remember the incubator I used in my incubator tutorial? That's my hatch-bator!) Right now it's running at 98 degrees and 73% humidity without any eggs yet.

As for the other incubator, it's done an amazing job. Never had to tweak the temperature even ONCE! 6 eggs are still alive and I candled them showing lots of growth. 2 of the 6 eggs look almost complete. They're both a lot smaller than the other 4, so I'm expecting them to hatch on day 19 or 20.

My incubator I'm using to hatch the eggs:

Day 18

6 eggs made it into lockdown!
celebrate.gif
The hatcher incubator is holding 98-100 degrees throughout the day. Since the embryos are just about full time, they don't need EXACT temps anymore, but I'm trying to keep them between 97 and 100 degrees. No more opening means no more candling. Egg #5 and #6's air cells are huge, while egg #10's air cell is kind of tiny. The hacther humidity is 80%. A few eggs are bantam so I wouldn't be surprised seeing a pip from them tomorrow. Something I'm worried about is the early chicks encouraging the normal sized eggs to hatch early, and they'll get excited and pip before their yolk is done.
idunno.gif

Here are the eggs in the hatcher!

Hi! Sorry i stopped posting. I gave up trying to update the thread thinking that nobody was reading it
tongue.png
5 of the eggs hatched on day 20, and they're 2 months old now!

5 out of 8 shipped eggs are pretty good odds. Can you tell what breeds they were? I hatched 8 mixed barnyard eggs today. Came out all different colors. Couple of dark yellow, two black, some light yellow and a yellow one with spots on its head! All the hens were purebreds but the rooster was half salmon faverolle so these should be interesting when they become adults! Do you have pictures you can share? Here are mine from today!

A lot of people lurk and just read threads without ever commenting (I am guilty of this)
smile.png

That's definitely a decent hatch rate all things considered. Congrats!!
celebrate.gif
I'd like to see pictures too!

Back
Top Bottom