~Assorted Chicken Egg Hatch-a-Long~

Griffin Nest

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Tonight, I just bought a listing for 8+ chicken eggs with a variety of colors off eBay. I don't know what I'm going to get so it'll be a surprise!
big_smile.png
I checked the ratings for the seller which were very good. I haven't hatched any eggs in a while so I'm very excited.

I recently make a new incubator with the Incukit, a device that practically makes an incubator for you. Unlike my old incubator, this one has a thermostat, which means no constant temperature lookout!
roll.png
I'm very proud of it. It keeps a temperature between 99.4 and 99.7 all the time. Tomorrow I'm going to fire it up and upload pictures of it to the forum.

My eggs are coming this Thursday!! I'll keep the thread updated.
wee.gif

I have pics of my incubator!

It's a styrofoam cooler installed with an Incukit, a device I bought from Incubator Warehouse that is a heating element, a thermostat, and a fan combined. So far, I have it set to 99.5 degrees and it only fluctuates between 99.2 and 99.7 all day. It's great!

For humidity I have two plastic bowls, one with a tube connected to it from the outside so I can fill it without opening the incubator and taking the entire thing apart. I'm going to keep it between 40% and 50% since they're shipped and not fresh.

The eggs are going to sit inside egg cartons that are tilted and are sitting on plastic mesh over the plastic bowls, and each day I'll rotate them 3-4 times.

I have a day-counting chart ready to go! The incubator is running and now all I have to do is wait for the eggs to come in the mail
big_smile.png

It's going to be very hot this week so I'm staying home on Thursday, the day they're coming. I don't want them to bake in the sun.

In this thread I will do a DAILY update with daily candling pictures to see progress! Very excited. Hope it goes well.

Last edited:
Day 0
My eggs finally came!!
celebrate.gif

I received 4 extra eggs and got 12 total. Some are standard sized and some are tiny! None of them had any cracks, even though the box was beat up!

Two of the eggs had completely detached air cells when I candled them, so I don't think they'll be viable, but the rest look great. I put all of them in the incubator though! Now, the incubator is coming up to temperature and the eggs are getting warmed. Tomorrow is Day 1 and counting!

Thank you, ebayer twist69 for these amazing eggs!

Day 1

The incubator is keeping a nice steady temperature between 99.2 and 99.5. The eggs are on their journey now! I added a little humidity to the incubator just for the first few days, but then after that I'll run the incubator dry until day 18. Upon candling, I obviously can't see any development yet, but the yolk sac seemed to have settled and become darker.

Day 2

Incubator temps were weird today. For some reason the temperature was running a bit low (98.8, not THAT low) even though it was set for 99.5. I don't think it will be any problem though, I fixed it. When I candled the white eggs, I could tell that something was going on since the yolk had kind of a red glow to it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll see more!

Day 3

I'm seeing veins! So far, 7 of the 12 eggs I candled show veins. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to see some more on the dark eggs too. Excited!
big_smile.png

Day 4

8 of the 12 eggs seem to be fertile and growing! One of the egg's embryo is stuck to the side and I have a bad feeling about it because the last time I saw an embryo like that it died
sad.png

Hoping for the best though!

Last edited:
Day 5

Everything's looking good. In a few days I'm thinking about removing the infertile eggs to make room. When I candled one of the eggs, I saw the embryo but no veins? Weird. I hope it doesn't die. The rest are healthy and getting a lot bigger every day!
big_smile.png
I raised the humidity again since the air cells look a little big already.

Day 6

7 eggs are showing healthy veins. One of the fertile eggs showed a blood ring, meaning that it died. Tomorrow I will take the infertile eggs out of the incubator for more room.
14 days to go!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom