assorted chickens, ID please!

Rudibell

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Star Valley, Wyoming
We ordered 25 heavy males assorted chickens (and got a few extras, plus some Polish in the pictures). Can you help ID any of them?

This is the free exotic chick we got:
47060_chicks_one_week0014.jpg

I like this curious dude, too:
47060_chicks_one_week0016.jpg

The whole bunch (they'll need more space soon!):
47060_chicks_one_week0012.jpg

47060_chicks_one_week0013.jpg

47060_chicks_one_week0017.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

The reddish brown ones with the tan stripes with the dark brown in the middle lookslook very like my partridge rock chicks when they were young, but I don't know if those are available where you got the assortment from. Cute chicks.!
smile.png

Last edited:
You need to supply pictures of each chick from the side, whole body, if you want help to ID individual birds. It looks to me like you got quite a few Easter Eggers (poofy cheeks with no feathers on their legs). What did you order? That might help along with where you got them from?
You might have fun looking them up yourself too. On http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens you can find all the breeds and at the bottom of the breed pages, you can see what the chicks look like. Also, I know McMurray Hatchery has pictures of most of the chicks in their catalog or on their website.
Before you post a picture of 25 chicks to have someone else ID, you could look some of this up and then just post the ones you can't figure out.
Good luck.

I see a poofy-cheeked Easter Egger in there. The black one with the spot on it's head is Barred Rock. The white ones are either Leghorn or White Rock. The white and grey one with a messy face looks like a Wyandotte (probably silver laced). The little chuckleheads with white poofs on their heads looks like Polish.

The chipmunk ones are harder. They could either be EEs or Welsummers, or even something else entirely.

Whew! You have quite an assortment!

Quote:
Thanks for the help! All but the 'Exotic Chick', the Polish and 4 EE gals were just the "all heavy male assortment special," that's why we don't know what they were/are. But it's kinda fun to guess and try to ID them, no?

I am just woundering here, why does someone want all roo's. I am very tender hearted and do not tell me you are going to eat them after you I D them. If you are going to eat them, who would want to know what kind they are. I am standing up for the chicks here.
he.gif

Fifth picture down, the two chicks standing off on the left side, with yellow tummies and red-brown tops with stripes: those look like speckled Sussex to me, very handsome birds as adults. The exotic in the first photo has me a little puzzled, but it might be a silver spangled Hamburg. You may have a couple of silver-laced Wyandottes in that crowd (4th picture down, gray/yellow/brown staring at the camera), and I think there's a barred Rock too (black with yellow star on head in photo #5, next to the Sussex).

For chick identification, I've had good luck with the Murray McMurray website or catalog--it's definitely a process of elimination, but looking at things like color of legs, presence or absence of leg feathering, and type of comb makes it possible to narrow down which breed it is of the four that have, say, yellow and brown striped down.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom