Assorted rainbow layer?

@donrae Oh okay, thank you. The lady working the store told me that the chick would probably lay blue/green eggs, but maybe she was just uninformed

I bought 2 rainbows from Orscheln on March 6th as well. One is brown, looks like a hawk, and one is black and looks similar to a crow. both very pretty and friendly. I'm curious to see what kind of eggs they produce. Abby, did you get yours in Nevada by chance? =)

Abby, I'm in Missouri too. Nevada is a town in SW Missouri. Anyway, I think the brown one is an easter egger too. two of my pullets turned out to be roos so I just HAD to get two more pullets this weekend to make up for them. I can see how chickens are addictive! I'm excited for them to start laying. I will try to get some photos to post of my flock.

blessings
<><

Last edited:
Oh I completely forgot about that
1f602.png
and yes they are very addicting! @kimc83

I'm also in southwest missouri...2 years ago we bought a dozen chicks from our local TSC...4 white leghorn hens and 8 production reds...raised them all up successfully and added a black australorp*, (bought as an adult hen from my step daughter) and an adult welsummer* rooster (given to us by my brother in law) we love them all...we get 9 to 12 eggs a day and enjoy them so much we bought more chicks this year...a wide assortment including about 15 bantams of various breeds...it is addictive...I feel ya there...we've added 6 silver laced wyandottes, two more leghorns, two more production reds, two easter eggers, two cochin bantams, a silkie, a polish crested bantam, 4 game bantams, 3 white japanese black tailed bantams, two cornish rocks....big tasty looking dudes (they're fate is sealed) ;) some other mixed straight run chicks and 3 labeled as "rainbows"...not sure what breed this is but I'm guessing just a mixture of several breeds loosely termed as a new breed...our three are black with white tipped wings and light blotchy cream colored heads...(This will probably change as they feather fully out) all of our birds are pretty and sweet so I'm not really concerned with the purity of any of my birds or meeting any breed standards...its just a hobby and I love them and get a lot of enjoyment from watching and interacting with them :) wow it feels good to get that out lol! I use the mobile version of the site, so what I'm able to do as far as posting pics and starting threads of my own are limited...hopefully this will change soon and I'll be able to show off my flock of soon to be 42 beautiful birds...

Kevin

Last edited:
Actually the coop I have now is just big enough to house the adult birds I have...they free range in a 40x60 fenced yard and my coop is 10x10x6...I will be building a larger coop for the new additions soon and be opening up the fence to double the space for my birds to forage...we live in a big old farmhouse with a huge fenced yard so I believe we can manage :) and btw one of or reds just hatched out four new babies so the flock is still growing...

I'm hoping to be able to free range my flock, at least when I'm home. We have a lot of coyotes in the area that are very brave and come right into the yard. I have to keep a close eye on my little dogs (who like to "free range") =)

Back
Top Bottom