Assortments from Hatcheries

afarhat

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
I've never ordered surplus chicks in an assortment most hatcheries offer, because I suspect that this is how most of the hatcheries get rid of their excess male leghorns and males of other smaller sized breeds. If you've ordered a batch of surplus chicks, please let me know what you got, or, if you don't know the breeds, how many male/females did you get? Thanks.

They often offer all-male and all-female (and unsexed) surplus--also different color mixes of a given breed. Sometimes they'll let you order x-number females and males. I'm not sure about the unsexed ones--you always wonder. You could easily get all male or all female chicks. The 50:50 thing only works in large numbers.

Welcome!
It's also a way to get breeds you might never have considered, and find fun. If you have specific breeds you plan to order, that's great. If you are willing to have a little adventure, it's a great way to meet individuals of other interesting breeds.
Mary

I've never ordered surplus chicks in an assortment most hatcheries offer, because I suspect that this is how most of the hatcheries get rid of their excess male leghorns and males of other smaller sized breeds. If you've ordered a batch of surplus chicks, please let me know what you got, or, if you don't know the breeds, how many male/females did you get? Thanks.
Great question. I'm also interested in the responses.

Back
Top Bottom