At 10weeks old it’s safe to say he is a boy😆

It’s OBVIOUSLY a hen, it has no saddle or hackle feathers!

😝😝😝 Pet peeve of mine in the BYC Facebook group lol

Oh my goodness, yes! Or the classic, 'my hen's comb is that size and she lays eggs every day.' Like, duh, she's also at least several months older than the bird in question and I can guarantee her comb wasn't that big when she was the same age. :rolleyes:

Whoops, sorry for the small digression there! You have quite a handsome cockerel, OP! 😊

As long as his temperament remains good, I think I might keep him to replace my old roo, but we’ll see what happens when he gets hormones.

I purchased some chicks at the same time this guy hatched and one of them turned out to be a male. That one is already starting to terrorize my poor hens. He waits until night when everyone is settling onto the roost bars and then while they are starting to doze he jumps on them to mate. The poor girls are startled and then have to try to maintain their balance so they don’t fall off, so he gets to have his way. When he is done with the deed the big girls chase him down and punish him but I don’t think he really cares since he accomplished what he set out to do. As soon as he puts a little meat on his bones he will be off to freezer camp!

We got 4 baby chicks in April. We ordered girls, but have just noticed the other day that one is a roo...I know, DUH, but we just didn't think about it, and we haven't had one before. The light finally dawned!
They are now all 11 weeks old now and we are heartbroken; We simply CANNOT keep a roo. They came from Chickens for Backyards, and are beautiful birds. We have 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Black Australorps. Charlie (who was 'Tilly' until the other day) is one of the Australorps. He is a lovely, calm bird. We are desperately trying to rehome him but nothing yet. We posted with local 4H, a roo rescue, and put up flyers in Tractor Supply and the feed store near us. Nothing yet.
I am really sad but keeping him is not an option. We just want him to go to somewhere where he will be loved and have a forever home. We are in New Hampshire. We don't know what else to do. We would NEVER kill or abandon any bird. We're really hoping someone contacts us and will take Charlie soon...

roo2.jpg

Last edited:
We got 4 baby chicks in April. We ordered girls, but have just noticed the other day that one is a roo...I know, DUH, but we just didn't think about it, and we haven't had one before. The light finally dawned!
They are now all 11 weeks old now and we are heartbroken; We simply CANNOT keep a roo. They came from Chickens for Backyards, and are beautiful birds. We have 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Black Australorps. Charlie is one of the Australorps. He is a lovely, calm bird. We are desperately trying to rehome him but nothing yet. We posted with local 4H, a roo rescue, and put up flyers in Tractor Supply and the feed store near us. Nothing yet.
I am really sad but keeping him is not an option. We just want him to go to somewhere where he will be loved and have a forever home. We are in New Hampshire. We don't know what else to do. We would NEVER kill or abandon any bird. We're really hoping someone contacts us and will take Charlie soon...

View attachment 3179527
Good luck finding him a home! Placing boys can be a difficult task. And I understand that butchering is not meant for everyone and that is totally ok. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom