At home euthanasia help

compostgirl

Hatching
May 28, 2022
hi, i think i need to euthanize my sweet chicken. shes been sick for a while (a month or so) and we have had every test done and shes been on every med and shes still not getting better. the vet cant figure out what it is and recommended euthanasia but the office is closed until monday. she seems like shes in pain and it is heartbreaking to watch. as much as i dont want to do this, i think it is whats necessary at this point.

i have access to some meds my mom has left over from a surgery she had. im wondering if any of them will be effective. i dont want to induce organ failure or any sort of painful drawn out death. i know vet offices commonly use barbiturates for euthanasia. the meds i have are:

promethazine: 9 pills 25mg each
alprazolam: 1 pill 0.5mg
hydrocodone and acetaminophen: 5-325mg

her last recorded weight was 140 grams, but this was a week ago. shes a silkie and is around 8 weeks old.

can anyone help please?

I'm sorry you have to do this. The most humane method for the bird, is cervical dislocation, or decapitation. Those are not hands off, but they are the quickest and cause the least pain and suffering for the bird. Attached is an article that explains the method I use, and why they (like I) came to use this method.
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html
I don't like doing it either, most of us don't, but it is a sometimes necessary part of keeping chickens. I can tell you that the anticipation and worry about it is often worse than the doing.

I'm sorry you have to do this. The most humane method for the bird, is cervical dislocation, or decapitation. Those are not hands off, but they are the quickest and cause the least pain and suffering for the bird. Attached is an article that explains the method I use, and why they (like I) came to use this method.
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html
I don't like doing it either, most of us don't, but it is a sometimes necessary part of keeping chickens. I can tell you that the anticipation and worry about it is often worse than the doing.
I agree. We had a week old chick that scratched its eyes to bits. I'm first time owner and was freaked out. We thought it best for her sake to cull her. I have no idea why she did it but the flock was hurting her more. Sorry that you have to make a hard choice.

I use the cervical dislocation method with a broomstick. It literally stops all brain activity to the body instantly.
This method works best for me, it's fast and works without fail and doesn't make a bloody mess.
You can take comfort in knowing that her pain will be over instantly, and that you've done the right thing for your bird.

Back
Top Bottom