At my wits end with this little duckling! 🆘

You could try making a sling for her to rest in periodically while you try to treat her legs. It would get her out of her poop and hopefully allow for less stress on her legs/body.
Thank you! :thumbsup

I’ve never thought of making a sling. That is a wonderful idea! How would I go about making one? A towel with cutouts?

Thank you! :thumbsup

I’ve never thought of making a sling. That is a wonderful idea! How would I go about making one? A towel with cutouts?
I use an old t shirt, binder clips, and a drawer from one of those plastic Rubbermaid storage things. I cut X's for the legs and a small triangle for the vent. I put kitty litter in the bottom for easy cleaning.

I made the poop hole too big on this one. Less is more for the holes. I also put a platform in for feet so they're not hanging. You may or may not want a platform. If she is super active, it may help her to escape.

20201001_115518_1.gif

20201001_115923_1.gif

I have a couple ducklings be a little bit weaker, but nothing quite that bad. I usually feed scrambled duck eggs to them, to give them some extra nutrient and protein.

If she as underweight as she is, maybe tube feeding would be an option. @casportpony is the tube feeding expert. It requires smaller catheters, but it may be the best bet to get her weight up and ensure a proper nutrition. I have never done it on a duck that young, but casportpony has.

It could definitely be genetic, random mutation. I don't remember who it was, but I was reading that someone had naicin deficiency more common in their hatched eggs. They were going to try and see if the hens needed more naicin before hatching eggs. Some nutritional deficits are passes on to the next generation.

I use an old t shirt, binder clips, and a drawer from one of those plastic Rubbermaid storage things. I cut X's for the legs and a small triangle for the vent. I put kitty litter in the bottom for easy cleaning.

I made the poop hole too big on this one. Less is more for the holes. I also put a platform in for feet so they're not hanging. You may or may not want a platform. If she is super active, it may help her to escape.

View attachment 2912784
View attachment 2912788
Thank you!!! The litter is so smart. Tommorow morning I am going to make her a sling. I think it could potentially help her out a lot and definitely keep her from soiling herself.

I have a couple ducklings be a little bit weaker, but nothing quite that bad. I usually feed scrambled duck eggs to them, to give them some extra nutrient and protein.

If she as underweight as she is, maybe tube feeding would be an option. @casportpony is the tube feeding expert. It requires smaller catheters, but it may be the best bet to get her weight up and ensure a proper nutrition. I have never done it on a duck that young, but casportpony has.

It could definitely be genetic, random mutation. I don't remember who it was, but I was reading that someone had naicin deficiency more common in their hatched eggs. They were going to try and see if the hens needed more naicin before hatching eggs. Some nutritional deficits are passes on to the next generation.
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the great advice!

I am going to weigh her vs her sibling tommorow to get a base weight on her. Like I said, she eats a lot but she’s just not gaining weight properly. She also has constant diarrhea. I’ve never tube fed before but would it be similar to giving medication orally? What supplies would I need to pick up?

Her momma is one of my smallest calls. She is a tiny black bib.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the great advice!

I am going to weigh her vs her sibling tommorow to get a base weight on her. Like I said, she eats a lot but she’s just not gaining weight properly. She also has constant diarrhea. I’ve never tube fed before but would it be similar to giving medication orally? What supplies would I need to pick up?

Her momma is one of my smallest calls. She is a tiny black bib

I am not entirely sure tube feeding is the best way to go. It is bit like oral medication but with a tube down their throat. It is certainly not a thing to do. But you can give any meds and such all at the same time if you go that route. The big thing is it helps with rehydrating a duck. You can get a lot of fluids into them quickly.

Hopefully @Isaac 0 or @casportpony can give you a better idea if it is worthwhile.

Here are links on how to do it and what you need.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

I am not entirely sure tube feeding is the best way to go. It is bit like oral medication but with a tube down their throat. It is certainly not a thing to do. But you can give any meds and such all at the same time if you go that route. The big thing is it helps with rehydrating a duck. You can get a lot of fluids into them quickly.

Hopefully @Isaac 0 or @casportpony can give you a better idea if it is worthwhile.

Here are links on how to do it and what you need.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/
Thank you! I will see what they have to say. If they recommend it, those articles will definitely come in handy. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom