At my wits end with this little duckling! 🆘

Rooster Booster has been around for 20+ years and I believe the first lab grown meat was not introduced until 2013.
I use Rooster Booster vitamins and electrolytes with probiotics occasionally.
My ducks will eat cat food and fish etc. if they can get to it.
My chickens run off with the chicken scraps I throw out to my cats and dogs.
I just thought it was interesting.

:eek:I do believe I'd drink a whole bottle of Poultry cell before I ate anything grown in a lab.
"Pink slime" (ammoniated boneless lean beef trimmings) is the nickname earned by a formerly inedible byproduct of the beef industry. Once used in pet food, it's now a cheap additive in ground beef. Pink Slime is an additive that the federal government has approved to be mixed in with ground beef. To make "real" beef stretch further, manufacturers can use this ammonia-infused beef as up to 15 percent of the product. Pink slime is now an additive in 70% of the ground beef in the U.S., which means that if you're eating a burger, there's a good chance you're also eating Pink Slime.
https://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/nutrition/pink-slime.php

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. You've gotten some excellent advice.
I too, have a couple angel wing call ducks and even if I tried to repair them then I wouldn't know which ones not to breed, and so I'm tossing the idea around of culling them... :(
Thank you.

Is angel wing genetic? I was unaware if it could be passed down or not. 🤔

B vitamins are most likely not working well because the problem is not associated with a B vitamin ( or niacin) deficit. Call ducks are unlikely to be affected by this due to their relatively slow-growing rate in contrast to breeds like Pekins that are.
I would nonetheless continue B vitamin supplementation, but consider additional broad-spectrum vitamin administration to address other deficits that could be at play (calcium, vitamin D, phosphorous, among many more. The latter conditions mentioned can onset musculoskeletal deformities that can appear similar to a niacin deficit such as varus/valgus, and rickets. Some are genetic in nature and can not be fixed, unfortunately.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers
Leg issues can be hard to treat. I think the other suggestions posted would be a good idea to implement.

Tube feeding can be hard with younger birds. I would more so encourage eating by offering her moist feed, or mashed scrambled eggs often. In the case her weight declines, tube feeding would need to be introduced.
Thank you for educating me on this, I figured it was a b vitamin deficiency due to the symptoms but was unaware of other conditions with similar symptoms. Thank you for the links as well.

So I should continue with the b- vitamin supplementation along with another form of vitamin.

I have things such as nutri drench or the electrolyte/ vitamin packets. Would those work or would it be beneficial to pick up something else? Do you think a vet visit would be beneficial? My vet is not very educated on birds so I have been contemplating taking her.

She eats a lot of crumble but just feels very light when I pick her up, almost like she has no weight. I am going to get a base weight on her tonight and keep monitoring to make sure she doesn’t lose weight. I’ll offer some scrambled eggs too. Would peas be ok? I have some in my freezer that I could offer to them.

Thank you.

Is angel wing genetic? I was unaware if it could be passed down or not. 🤔
Lots of folks believe angel wing is genetic. Others think it’s more feed/nutrition related, and some blame incubation techniques. Personally, just my humble opinion from my experiences, I believe it has to do mostly with eating habits, not so much the feed itself. My only angel wing ducks have been the ones that always seem to linger longest at the feeders. The pigs. And it seems more prevalent in the “runts” or ones that hatched late or had troubles hatching. I haven’t had an angel wing adult for a while, but ended up with one angel wing duckling this year. Garth, the little piggy duck. Lol

Prayers for little Lucy. You’ve gotten some good suggestions, I hope something works.

Lots of folks believe angel wing is genetic. Others think it’s more feed/nutrition related, and some blame incubation techniques. Personally, just my humble opinion from my experiences, I believe it has to do mostly with eating habits, not so much the feed itself. My only angel wing ducks have been the ones that always seem to linger longest at the feeders. The pigs. And it seems more prevalent in the “runts” or ones that hatched late or had troubles hatching. I haven’t had an angel wing adult for a while, but ended up with one angel wing duckling this year. Garth, the little piggy duck. Lol

Prayers for little Lucy. You’ve gotten some good suggestions, I hope something works.
I remember you mentioning something about the ducklings exerting those nutrients whenever we discussed this before. Is that correct? (To be completely honest I could be remembering incorrectly) That would apply to them spending more time at the food bowl instead of playing. That's the case with Maggie. She is still a very slow eater. Lylah and Faith both had AW but it resolved without wrapping. Lylah's was concerning. So if I'm remembering correctly, Lucy's inability to run around like her hatchmate, could be a contributing factor? Please feel free to correct me if my thoughts are way off.

Edited : I *think* we were discussing protein content in feed. I'm going to go crawl under a rock if I'm way off or actually dreamed this

I remember you mentioning something about the ducklings exerting those nutrients whenever we discussed this before. Is that correct? (To be completely honest I could be remembering incorrectly) That would apply to them spending more time at the food bowl instead of playing. That's the case with Maggie. She is still a very slow eater. Lylah and Faith both had AW but it resolved without wrapping. Lylah's was concerning. So if I'm remembering correctly, Lucy's inability to run around like her hatchmate, could be a contributing factor? Please feel free to correct me if my thoughts are way off.

Edited : I *think* we were discussing protein content in feed. I'm going to go crawl under a rock if I'm way off or actually dreamed this
Protein content is one of the debates. I still believe quantity is the issue. Lol

Back
Top Bottom