At my wits end!

kjpanda

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
About a week before Christmas, I replaced my 3 year old layer flock with young pullets. I bought three 8 month old Barred Rocks, an 8 month old Rhode Island Red, an 8 month old Banty Golden Laced Cochin, a 4 month old Aracauna, a 1 year old Blue Orphington, and two 1.5 year old Arcauana's.

I realize the "older" ones won't be as prolific, but it was a package deal. The banty laid daily for the 1st week, and then hasn't laid since. The Rocks and the red were laying 1 or 2 a day for the 1st week and nothing since. One of the Arcauna's layed every other day for the 1st two weeks and nothing since.

I supplement the lighting so they have 14+ hours a day. None of them are molting or showing any signs of molting. Plenty of fresh water, food and I give them scratch grains twice a day.

The past couple of days, my Rocks are doing the egg squawk, but no eggs. I can't figure out what is going on! Any thoughts???

That's a tough situation to be in, sorry it's happening! A couple of things come to my mind. First, have you noticed if anything in their environment might be causing undue stress? Something like a lurking predator at night can cause a lot of stress for hens, and cause them to not lay. Also, it could even be the transport and the new home. You mentioned they did lay for about a week, but something like a new home can cause hens to quit laying, for around a month sometimes.

Another thing could be a change in their diet, if you aren't sure how they were being fed previously. Being overfed, or too much protein can cause hens to get fat, and building fat around their sex organs can cause changes in their ovulation. Basically, being overfed can cause them to quit laying.

I would probably check those things the best you can, and then give them a bit more time and see if they get back on track.

What is the brand of 'food' you are giving them, are you free feeding(always available)?

Were they getting the 14 hours of light where they were previously residing? It can several weeks or more for lighting to have an effect.

So sorry it has taken me a couple of days to respond. I have been packaging 200 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and have been quite busy! My bad knee makes me tire easily, so I only do so much before I must rest.

My girls get layer pellets from our local feed store and while they are not "free range" per say, they have a large enclosed run. (10 x 16) I make sure they have constant food and water available as well.

We did get 2 eggs yesterday, so hopefully they were just going through a "lull" in production.

Thank you all so much for your responses!!!!!

This group is awesome!!!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom