At the end with egg eater

OKhobbit

Chirping
Apr 1, 2022
Ketchum, OK
I have read all the posts regarding egg eaters. A couple of months ago after not laying for several weeks, one of my two 15 month old Rhode Island Reds (the larger one who had a mild molt last winter) began eating eggs. I tried the ceramic eggs, which she still pecks at, mustard in the blown out shell (which gave her quite the stomach ache and bloody diarrhea for a while), reintroduced more toys that she'd forgotten they'd had before, more time in their wire 4x8 "day" coop (unless it is a rainy day), checking on them more times than I can remember every day, even speaking sternly to her when I find a broken shelled egg (probably very ineffective). Several weeks ago I changed out the bottom part of their "night" coop with the sterilized coffee grounds bedding (sure smelled great) and I thought maybe she was angry about that, so I switched back to pine shavings. I clean out the bottom of that coop every 2-3 days, depending on the amount of time they've been in there. The day coop/run base is muddy, so I put out alfalfa and replace it when it gets too muddy.

I have been separating the chicken that is now finally laying everyday from this one in the morning, so we are at least getting one egg almost every day. They are getting the 16% layer feed, scratch mix one to two times a week, mealworms (not from China) about three times a week, veggies and fruits (on the approved lists), and their water has the Rooster Booster Vitamins and Electrolytes added. They also have free access to oyster shell calcium and grit and I also process their egg shells down almost to dust and put it on their feed. I have Corid in case the diarrhea comes back and gets worse and Safeguard should be arriving any day. Previously, I used The Poultry Store All Natural Dewormer every couple of months, which I think is okay, but I'm just a little concerned maybe worms might be an issue?

I want to try whatever I can before she is replaced. Today the base part of the rolling nest box is supposed to arrive. I ordered two so I'm hoping one will fit somewhere in the bottom part of the small coop (supposed to be for 2-3 chickens, no way three). Does anyone have any more suggestions? I know there are VERY experienced chicken parents out there! Thank you in advance.

You can try using curtains on the nesting boxes. There is a section in the bottom of this article that describes it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/nest-boxes-101.74585/

It is okay if you have to cull her. It can be a hard habit to break.

Oh, also, you only want to give electrolytes for a short while. That can cause diarrhea itself. Good to always have fresh water available, too.

You can try using curtains on the nesting boxes. There is a section in the bottom of this article that describes it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/nest-boxes-101.74585/

It is okay if you have to cull her. It can be a hard habit to break.

Oh, also, you only want to give electrolytes for a short while. That can cause diarrhea itself. Good to always have fresh water available, too.
Thank you so much Saveria. I did put up curtains last week and it seemed to make a difference for the one who is regularly laying now. I will stop the electrolytes for a while. I change their 1/2 gallon bucket every other day. Just got the rolling nesting boxes so will give this a try and I'll post an update. Thank you again.

They are getting the 16% layer feed, scratch mix one to two times a week, mealworms (not from China) about three times a week, veggies and fruits (on the approved lists), and their water has the Rooster Booster Vitamins and Electrolytes added. They also have free access to oyster shell calcium and grit and I also process their egg shells down almost to dust and put it on their feed. I have Corid in case the diarrhea comes back and gets worse and Safeguard should be arriving any day. Previously, I used The Poultry Store All Natural Dewormer every couple of months, which I think is okay, but I'm just a little concerned maybe worms might be an issue?
This is a LOT of stuff - why so many extras? If you have a commercial feed, you don't need vitamins too (unless you're offering so many treats and extras that you've completely thrown off the nutrient balance in the feed).

Electrolytes are not intended for long term use due to sodium content.

Egg shells shouldn't be mixed into the feed, you're already at around 4% calcium with the feed. Grinding them down makes them pass through the system faster (instead of staying in the system to be absorbed) so you're working against yourself anyhow.

Corid isn't for diarrhea, it's for coccidiosis which you don't mention having - the bloody stools you mentioned you attributed to mustard. Do you actually have worms and if so, what kind? Worms and coccidiosis have nothing to do with egg eating.

As far as set up... you mention a day coop and night coop? What does that mean? What does your set up look like? It's possible that boredom could be a factor but if egg eating is now her default habit it's going to be hard to break.

This is a LOT of stuff - why so many extras? If you have a commercial feed, you don't need vitamins too (unless you're offering so many treats and extras that you've completely thrown off the nutrient balance in the feed).

Electrolytes are not intended for long term use due to sodium content.

Egg shells shouldn't be mixed into the feed, you're already at around 4% calcium with the feed. Grinding them down makes them pass through the system faster (instead of staying in the system to be absorbed) so you're working against yourself anyhow.

Corid isn't for diarrhea, it's for coccidiosis which you don't mention having - the bloody stools you mentioned you attributed to mustard. Do you actually have worms and if so, what kind? Worms and coccidiosis have nothing to do with egg eating.

As far as set up... you mention a day coop and night coop? What does that mean? What does your set up look like? It's possible that boredom could be a factor but if egg eating is now her default habit it's going to be hard to break.
Thank you so much. I am a first time chicken parent. There is no vet locally that will see the chickens if they get in trouble. I have not seen any worms but I now have the Safeguard on hand if I see any (I do have a microscope) as well as the Corid for coccidiosis should they become very ill. I will stop the electrolytes. I gave them the ground down shells because I didn't want them to start egg eating by liking the larger shell pieces.
During the day if it's not raining, I put them in a 4x8 wire coop on the ground so they can get more sun (there is a shade cover) and scratch to their hearts content. It also keeps them safe from so many predators. I realized early on that the "night" coop on a raised table with a roof, was too small. It works well even on rainy/snowy days and I try to keep them entertained as much as I can.
I really appreciate your help. There is always something to learn!

I gave them the ground down shells because I didn't want them to start egg eating by liking the larger shell pieces.
During the day if it's not raining, I put them in a 4x8 wire coop on the ground so they can get more sun (there is a shade cover) and scratch to their hearts content. It also keeps them safe from so many predators. I realized early on that the "night" coop on a raised table with a roof, was too small. It works well even on rainy/snowy days and I try to keep them entertained as much as I can.
I really appreciate your help. There is always something to learn!
Egg shell pieces don't cause egg eating, a lot of us use them without issue.

So the 4x8 "coop" is actually the run? Or is there a separate run space? You only have the 2 birds? You mention you only use this 4x8 space if it's not raining - if it's raining where do the birds go?

It really sounds like a boredom issue if a 4x8 space that's not always available is the entirety of their outdoor space.

Egg shell pieces don't cause egg eating, a lot of us use them without issue.

So the 4x8 "coop" is actually the run? Or is there a separate run space? You only have the 2 birds? You mention you only use this 4x8 space if it's not raining - if it's raining where do the birds go?

It really sounds like a boredom issue if a 4x8 space that's not always available is the entirety of their outdoor space.
Thank you rosemarythyme! I appreciate the advice.

Happy update! The stand alone base of a rolling nest box that fit in the lower, larger area of the coop was dismantled by the egg eater. She did not like it at all! However, I placed the two fake brown eggs (versus the white fake eggs she kept pecking at) in the nest boxes and what do you know? They each believe it is okay to lay in there (they lay some variation of brown eggs) and I really believe the curtains placed in front gave them even more privacy. The egg eater now lays and leaves the nesting box. The other one is broody and would probably make a great mom if we had a rooster. Two girls are enough for us. If they haven't laid and go in the "day coop/run" I put a small cardboard box with a nesting pad in the corner and they have even used that with no egg eating. No more diarrhea, thank goodness. I did stop the electrolyte/vitamin powder in their water. Seems to have passed on its own. Thanks to all for your help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom