at what age can a rooster start to fertilize eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quailss, Dec 16, 2010.

1. quailss

quailss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    at what age can a rooster start to fertilize eggs?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had a roo that was successful at just over 4 months. But most take 6 months to get fertile.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Depends on the breed. Anywhere from 4-8 months with the average being 6. Larger and slower growing breeds usually take longer.

When he starts actively trying to mate, he should be fully fertile.

4. quailss

quailss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    how about a bantam breed because I have a japanese bantam rooster

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

What about silkies?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It varies from breed to breed and individual to individual. But generally once they can make contact, they can fertilize eggs. Not just go through the motions, but make actual cloacal contact. At 6 months fertility seems to increase. Is it a factor of age or ability? I'm guessing ability since lighter, more agile, less fluffy appear to show fertility earlier than larger, clumsy, "over fluffed" breeds.

7. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    I'm glad this question was asked. I read somewhere that it would take 8 months to a year. But I like what I'm hearing on BYC better [​IMG] We have 4 roos 8 months old and they are all taking their turn with the girls and have been for a few months.

8. Runawaylobster

Runawaylobster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    My BCM is mating with all my hens allover the place but nothing when i incubate the eggs yet. He is only 18 weeks
    I guess he must just be practising

9. BY Chicken Lady

BY Chicken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Overgaard, AZ
    My Barred Rock cockerel has been chasing all the girls around the last few days. Only my laying hen will squat for him...so far. I watched him appear to get the gymnastics down pretty well, then he jumped off and she stood up and fluffed her feathers then checked her own bottom. Do you think he is already fertile and completing the task? He is only 13 weeks old.

10. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I wouldn't think your BR could be fertile already but what do I know. I've got a question since we're talking about when he becomes ready to fertilize eggs, at what age do they lose their fertility?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by