at what age can a rooster start to fertilize eggs?

Following up my previous post about my 13 week old Barred Rock mating with my laying hen. He was fertile...I have a 1 week old baby chick out of their mating. I collected five of my hens eggs that week and cracked four of them finding the fertile Bullseye in all of them. Then I put the fifth one in the incubator and now have a baby chick.

So the answer to the question about what age the cockerel can be fertile...in my case, 13 weeks!

BTW, I have no other roosters and I know the cockerels exact hatch date so there is not age discrepancy. I have two more of their eggs in the incubator now, due to hatch on 8/21. They made such a cute baby :) I had to hatch some more.

Last edited:
I've got an Isbar roo "mating" constantly with my faverolle hens. He's 5 1/2 mos old now and has been going for it at least a month. I thought I saw bullseyes in some eggs so I went for it about 25 days ago. Candled all the eggs at day 8 and saw nothing looked encouraging. So I cracked one and there was a little well-formed embryo, so I went through the incubation period. Result? Nothing. When I did eggtopsies ...not a single embryo...what are the odds? (14 eggs).
From watching him mate, I would say he's not quite skilled enough yet...like someone said , he's not hitting the target.
Hoping for better luck at 6 mos. and also hoping the bullseyes are easy to spot...my vision ain't great. Isbars are smaller than faverolles but very graceful, he's about the same weight as them, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom