At what age can chicks go outside?

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
At the moment we have one 5 day old chick with its mother in a brooder in our bathroom. Now that the hen has left the two remaining eggs and with the chick, have started wandering about the bathroom and scratching around making a mess, I was wondering when I could let mamma hen take her chick outside for a little field trip. It would only be for short periods and I would be supervising the whole time...

Last edited:
what I do when I have a broody chook with chicks, is after they're about 5 days old (and not too cold) I lock them out side the indoor part of their coop so they can get some fresh air. after about 1 or 2 days I open the door of their coop so they can go back into the indoor part of it, but they usually stay out of that part anyway. I let they out with my other chooks when their are about 4/5 weeks, but I think you can them out earlier than that.
here's a picture of my coop for broody chook and her chicks:

hope this helps and isn't too confusing!!

When chicks are brooded in-house without a mother hen, chicks can get chilled. When they get chilled, their resistance goes down ,and they are more susceptible to disease. This is why we supplement heat for the first 6 weeks of their lives. Fresh air should naturally be a part of the indoor environment. They shouldn't have to go outside to have fresh air, and one is taking a big chance putting them outside during the colder months..

I disagree. If the two remaining eggs still need to hatch, letting her out with a hatched chick will compromise the remaining chicks to be hatched. A grow off pen with an inside nest area/coop at floor level would be best instead of a bathroom to be moved in and out of. Something to plan in the future.

Last edited:
I've never seen a broody that went back to eggs after leaving the nest for already hatched chicks. The OP indicated she had left the remaining eggs. It's a done deal..I'm doubting there will be any more chicks from that hatch.

what I do when I have a broody chook with chicks, is after they're about 5 days old (and not too cold) I lock them out side the indoor part of their coop so they can get some fresh air. after about 1 or 2 days I open the door of their coop so they can go back into the indoor part of it, but they usually stay out of that part anyway. I let they out with my other chooks when their are about 4/5 weeks, but I think you can them out earlier than that.
here's a picture of my coop for broody chook and her chicks:

hope this helps and isn't too confusing!!

X2 mine are treated about the same and remember no big open containers of water should be around as this will cause you the loss of a new chick
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom