at what age can ducks start to swim

My ducklings were 3 days old when I put them in the tub. Personally I think it benefits the ducklings to learn good bathing and preening habits early. They were put in warm water and supervised the whole time. Then when they had been in about 10 minutes I noticed they weren't splashing as much so I took them out and dried them with a towel and then put them in their brooder and used the hair dryer on low to finish drying them off. They never became chilled and really liked the water. I see so many people say wait until they have feathers but I think it's healthier for them to be in water. Plus it keeps them hydrated and they can definitely make sure their eyes and nares are cleared out by playing in the water. In fact with my weak and sick duckling, I think being in water actually helped her more because she wasn't drinking but she would dabble in the tub and rinse her nares that started to get crusty.

But to each their own.

Yes you should use warm water. And if you want to blow dry them put the dryer on low and make sure they don't get too hot. Hold the dryer far enough away to keep them from getting burned. Mine are 4 weeks old today and they still love to be blow dried after swimming.

AWW I CANNOT WAIT THANK U ALOT. WELL I WILL GO AND DO THAT LET THEM SWIM SOME IN WARM WATER IN THE TUB.. THANK U AGAIN..

As you can see there are a lot of opinions on this topic...

But what everyone should keep in mind is....."These are ducks and in the wild they __________." - I've never seen a duck drown, floating in the water from a short lived life because it couldn't swim.

Supervision is key. You can put them in water after a few days, but watch them as they are not water proofed yet at only a couple of days. After a week or so you'll be good to go. Trust me....they won't drown, especially once they are oiled....remember these are ducks! Just make sure to dry them off well when they are young and they'll do the rest....

The paranoia amongst people crack me up....it's common sense to supervise them closely when they are a few days old because they'll soak up water like a sponge at that age.

There are a lot of great advice so far from what I've read on this topic....just don't let the paranoia of some get to you....

I've found that letting them swim from an early age and frequently helps strengthen their legs. Let them paddle away and exercise those little things....don't forget the Niacin to help their legs/feet grow properly.

Last edited:
Yep.. I let mine start to have a swim in the bathroom sink after just 3 days old.

Make the water a tepid temperature.... and only have it very shallow.. so they can easily stand up in it. They will splash about and have a bath.. As they get older you can make the water deeper.

You know when they are ready to come out of the water.. they will stop playing and get less active. Then you have to take them out.. dry them and put them back in their warm brooder to dry off.

They don't get their waterproofing oil for several weeks. So they must never be left in the water too long.. or they will get chilled as the water soaks down to their skin.

Never let them get water logged like that.

They don't need to swim at all.. being fine with just drinking water... but they do enjoy a swim.. and its great fun.. and very cute to watch them.. and it give you time to bond with them if you want them as pets.

4 days at the least but you MUST DRY THEM unless their mother's oil has rubbed on them.
woot.gif

I have had mine for a week and started them in the sink the second day just to clean them off and access their pecked bodies and then the tub a few days later, first day they were torpedoing and diving, and we have done swim time 2 times a day in the tub since then and each time they seem to stronger and more determined to do more. today they looked at me as if they were bored with the water level so I kept raising it until they started getting excited, in three minutes I had ducks swimming and dunking their heads and they were enjoying themselves, if they tired they went to the shallow end but didn't stay long as they were back to the deeper water it was back and forth for quite some time and when they stopped going in I drained the water, put a towel down and let them preen and when they were finished preening I dried them the rest of the way and back under the heat lamp. I have noticed that their feathers are coming in alot faster then the neighbors who got theirs the same time and mine are much bigger even though they are from the same artificial hatching. I am not a duck expert, just learning as I go, but these two were being pecked at so badly they were actually going to destroy them. so 1/2 off and free are now residing with me. I think alot of it is the love, trust and bond they have with each other and the human moms. I have no idea what breed they are just praying they are not mallards

Back
Top Bottom