At what age can I give my chickens scratch? they are about 10 days old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backwoodsman4life, Jul 10, 2010.

1. backwoodsman4life

backwoodsman4life Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    El Reno, Oklahoma
    At what age can I give my chickens scratch? they are about 10 days old now.

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I put mine out in the pen when they were 5-6 weeks old and I was giving my others scratch in the morning. They picked out the smaller items, but not too eagerly. They are 8 weeks now and are eagerly gobbling it up. Hope that helps.

3. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I don't think scratch is OK for chicks until they are atleast 12 weeks. It is like Candy for them! I also read somewhere that scratch can heat up there body and should not be given to chickens in the summer. I'm not sure how much of that is true but it would make since.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have had 1 week old chicks eat a few pieces of scratch before and it never harmed them. As long as you provide grit for them with the scratch there shouldn't be a problem in moderation of course [​IMG]

5. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Quote:So, if my chicks are 8 weeks old and on Starter feed(mesh), can I give them a little scratch as a treat without adding grit?

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Chickens need grit in order to process the hard seeds in the scratch, you should provide them with grit before allowing them scratch.

The commercial pellets, mash, and crumbles will all break down because of the water the chickens have access too providing enough moisture to soften the feed and allow digestion. That is not the case with whole seed, etc ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by