At what age can I set my hens eggs

Wooster Crazy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
I just wondering if my 1 an a half year old hen is old enough tfo me to hatch her eggs out. they look good inside. I did not know if there is a age limit. for good developed eggs?

I just wondering if my 1 an a half year old hen is old enough tfo me to hatch her eggs out. they look good inside. I did not know if there is a age limit. for good developed eggs?
My hens are under a year and I am getting ready to try incubating with their eggs for the first time. The question isn't really about the age of the hens, but how long they have been laying/how big the eggs are. If the eggs are a decent size (and fertilized,
wink.png
) then you should be good. It is not recommended to incubate the small pullet eggs, but as the eggs regulate in size, they should not be a problem.

Over a year old is plenty old enough to incubate eggs from a hen. I thought I might be pushing it to incubate my eggs from my girls, they were about 9-10 months old at the time, but laying good sized fertile eggs so I figured why not?

They all hatched just fine.

I personally probably wouldn't try to incubate eggs from a hen who had only been laying for a month, or a hen who was starting to slow down in laying (I'd be concerned about developmental problems). Between 1-2 years is pretty much considered prime age for hens, as far as I know!

Thanx, I am going to give it a go they just are coming out of a dormant laying period and I checked the first end French Copper Marans nice size and shell most likely not till next month I will post when I get it done.. hatching cochin eggs at present my girl is 3 years old.

Yes they are fertile NOW.. LOL I tried to hatch some earlier and guess what not fertile !!! Naughty girls fooled me so... so I thought they were not old enough maybe to be good eggs as well as not being fertile or both..? but I will pen them separate this time for a few days to be sure.. they will not fool me this time.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom