At What Age Can I Use Our Eggs For Hatching Out Chicks

I have set and hatched several of my pullet and young turkey hen eggs. I won't set any aside for hatching until:

1. I know that the rooster/tom has been successfully making his rounds for at least a week
2. The egg sizes are becoming consistent, not too small and not too large, and coming regularly
3. The girls start laying in good locations like nest boxes, not wherever they happen to be standing when it's time for an egg

Once the hens look businesslike about it, the eggs seem to be reliable.

I usually wait until the bird has been laying a few months. I want her laying normal size and shape eggs, not tiny Pullet eggs. Once she's doing that, her eggs are fair game IMO.

I usually wait until the bird has been laying a few months. I want her laying normal size and shape eggs, not tiny Pullet eggs. Once she's doing that, her eggs are fair game IMO.
That's what I am waiting for. I have 2 laying good sized eggs. Waiting for at least two of the other 3 to get bigger first.

My hens will be a year old first week of June. I set 13 eggs from them last month and all 13 hatched, so apparently they're fine!

I have 38 in the incubator now, hoping for the best.

The girls have been laying well since last fall, slight lull during the winter, but very consistent now. They don't all lay in the nesting boxes, BUT they do each have their "spot" they prefer, and consistently lay there. I had to get rid of an egg-eater last week, but now she's not in there making a mess, I'm getting six gorgeous healthy eggs a day.
yesss.gif

The rooster is plenty active, and has been doing his job well.

I agree with WalnutHill, if you have seen the male going about his business, and if the egg sizes have been consistent, no reason not to try out some eggs in the incubator!

Back
Top Bottom