At what age can you determine if a chicken meets the SOP?

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
At what age can you get a good idea of what a bird is going to really look like? How do you decided who to thin out early on? For example, if I hatched 100 chicks, would you raise all 100 until a certain time to see which might be considered SOP and THEN make a decision on who is the best representation of the breed? It seems like a lot of chicken to raise just to see which one will look the most perfect. Is this the correct way? What does everyone else do who is looking to raise show quality birds?

Are there any resources that give examples? For example, what's a breed that would take a year, and what would you be looking for during that year? Thank you!
No. Certain things just take a year and certain things don't. You can't tell if a bird will have proper coloring until at least after their first adult plumage comes in for any breed, but you can certainly tell if your chick has the wrong comb or wrong amount of toes much, much earlier. That's why pullets and hens have different classes

Yes, exhibition breeders will hatch 100+ a year to get the most perfect birds. But people will hatch based on what they can accommodate, which for me was about 30-50 of each of my two breeds. Yes, it may take more than a year to pick your breeders. But selection starts at day one.
Everything has an age where you can cull at. I’m going to use non breed specific examples, so it includes, but is not limited to:
Some problems are noticeable at hatch like birth defects.
Others like slow development can be noticed a month or so later. After about four months, you can make your first selections based on type, size, and comb, but only bantams and only outstandingly poor ones. At the age of five months you can do this with large fowl.
At 6 months you finally can pick your best group and maybe sell the others and at eight months you can finally pick the ones you will use for breeding with confidence. They don’t do much growing after eight months, but they will fill out more. Certain varieties such as laced, quail, and black tailed red may need a year before you can determine if the hens are worth breeding from but cockerels of eight months are generally considered breedable.

Yes, exhibition breeders will hatch 100+ a year to get the most perfect birds. But people will hatch based on what they can accommodate, which for me was about 30-50 of each of my two breeds. Yes, it may take more than a year to pick your breeders. But selection starts at day one.
Everything has an age where you can cull at. I’m going to use non breed specific examples, so it includes, but is not limited to:
Some problems are noticeable at hatch like birth defects.
Others like slow development can be noticed a month or so later. After about four months, you can make your first selections based on type, size, and comb, but only bantams and only outstandingly poor ones. At the age of five months you can do this with large fowl.
At 6 months you finally can pick your best group and maybe sell the others and at eight months you can finally pick the ones you will use for breeding with confidence. They don’t do much growing after eight months, but they will fill out more. Certain varieties such as laced, quail, and black tailed red may need a year before you can determine if the hens are worth breeding from but cockerels of eight months are generally considered breedable.
Thank you!
Do you know if there are mentors available for new breeders (like myself) and how I would find someone? I read and research a lot, but I would love to find someone who can mentor me. I absolutely love this site, but I don't know if I should run here every time I have a question on one bird if have so many.

Thank you!
Do you know if there are mentors available for new breeders (like myself) and how I would find someone? I read and research a lot, but I would love to find someone who can mentor me. I absolutely love this site, but I don't know if I should run here every time I have a question on one bird if have so many.
Many breeders find mentors at poultry shows and such. If you find a breeder in your area with the same breed and buy from them they might be willing to mentor you as well.

A lot depends on your breed. For example, in Jersey Giants, serious breeders won't choose their breeding stock until 12-14 months of age. One longtime breeder stated he doesn't breed until 24 months. He has been at it for a long time and his line is pretty consistent - he also only hatches 20-30 from his best hens. This is because Jersey Giants take a long time to grow and develop.

I am working with my first group of chicks. They are 3 months old. Although I have been communicating with my mentor about them, she reminded me not to get too excited about a bird too early. One example, again with Giants because that is the breed I know, is choosing a cockerel at 6 months based on his weight. He might be 10 pounds at 6 months, but remain 10 pounds at 12 months while a slower growing cockerel might be smaller at 6 months but make the SOP minimum of 13 pounds at 12 months.

As others have said, you can begin narrowing down certain traits earlier on, but for a newbie it's best to grow any potential stock as long as you can. You learn how your birds will develop with time. Some go through a really "ugly" phase where you are sure they are a cull but with time to grow they surprise you.

I definitely suggest finding a mentor or two in your breed. Longtime breeders are such a wealth of information. I would join your breed's club, look for Facebook groups, and meet breeders at shows.

Back
Top Bottom