At what age can you tell gender?

newTexan2chickens

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
I was given 4 mixed breed chicks that are reportedly 4 wks old. 3 are bantam and one is standard.... I think they might all be roos but don't want to post pics if it is too early. One of the bantams I am pretty sure is a roo because last week he started making this strangled I am wounded/dying noise every time he could hear the BR roo crow. So at what age can you really start being able to tell? Thanks!

It varies on how early you can sex them. Some breeds you can sex really early (day olds) and some you have to wait longer (it took me 8 weeks on Orps to be sure on my last 2)

Post pics and we'll take a guess for you. And I'd say you already have 1 rooster since it's crowing already.
smile.png
(ETA: Yes, that strangling sound is a crow
lol.png
)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can sex them once they are pretty much feathered out, usually at 8-10 weeks. If you hold the bird with it's head towards you, take a look at the feathers at the base of the tail (saddle feathers). If it is a female, those feathers will be rounded. If they are pointy, it is a male. If your birds are feathering out quickly, you may be able to tell as early as 6 weeks. I found it helpful to look at a mature birds that the sex is known to see examples of each. Once you figure it out, it is never wrong.

I have not seen saddle feathers come in at 8-10 weeks. The earliest I've seen them on my birds is 13 weeks. And certain breeds (like Ameraucana) the males will have rounded feathers around the tail until much later.

Back
Top Bottom