At what age did your Marans start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whoopinha, Jul 1, 2010.

1. whoopinha

whoopinha New Egg

Jul 17, 2008
    Hello. Before I post my question I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for your time and generosity in sharing your knowledge. I have been enjoying raising chickens for two years now and other than what my girls have taught me, I have learned everything else here! Thank you everyone, what a wonderful resource this is.

I am raising 22 Cuckoo Marans now and I was just wondering when other folks saw their Marans starting to lay. My girls are four weeks old today.

Thanks!

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have 2 hens that were hatched on Jan 23
    We started getting eggs about 2 weeks ago. Not every day or even every other day and the colors have been improving with each lay. Not even sure which or both hens yet.
    That would make them about 24 weeks

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Wow, what a beautiful flock youre going to have! [​IMG] I have 2 CM hens, hatched in Feb, and just last week one started to lay. Theyve had red combs and wattles for over 6 weeks now, but I notice when they get ready to lay, they start the "crouching" behavior when I go to pick them up. I would say they arent the earliest layers Ive ever had....good luck!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have BCM's and the first started laying at 19 1/2 weeks. She's a large girl though. (and heavy) I'm still waiting for my smaller girl to start laying.

5. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    mine (the CMs) are 5 mos today and i haven't seen any eggs yet. i actually do not think they are super close either. but they are a little small and were not raised in optimally healthy conditions (i got them 6 weeks ago and have been trying to feed/worm/range them into 100% health and vitality).

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    My smaller blue copper starter laying first @ 19 weeks. I would have bet the larger hens would lay first but I was wrong lol. My black coppers laid about the same age. 19-20 weeks.

7. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I have one black FCM and she is little and a scaredy-cat. She is 24 weeks and still hasn't laid. Surely soon! I'm ready for a brown egg. I just put 10 wheaten and blue wheaten marans eggs in the bator today. Hoping for more hens!

8. whoopinha

whoopinha New Egg

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks everyone! Looks like 19-24 weeks is the average. I can't wait to see that first dark egg!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by