At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

It is hard to tell someone who's pullet is 17 weeks that they have to wait another month!!!
But, I'd bet you'll have to.
wink.png

We're approaching the 19-week mark with bright red comb and wattles on my BA and she's suddenly a lot more talkative. I don't know if it means anything but no eggs here yet either.

Last edited:
Waiting is like torture, isn't it?
yippiechickie.gif

My Martha is 15 weeks today, and she looks a lot like the picture of Alexis at 22 weeks. No squating yet, but I really don't expect anything until the end of September or some time in October. I suppose they all mature at their own rate. Just like kids.
big_smile.png

When I hatch chicks I start them on chick starter till the bags gone, then move on to grower feed till their about 17-18 weeks then give them layer if you want or you can leave them on grower. It seems like I always have some older hens and young pullets running around so I just feed them all grower with oyster shell on the side. The extra protein won't hurt the old gals and the young pullets shouldn't have the calcium that's in the layer it not good for them while growing. i'm feeding them all Nutrena all flock at 18% protein and it works well for all of them and I don't have to worry about who's eating what.I have 4 coops going right now and today when I let them out to free range I counted 9 chickens that ran straight into different coops to eat cuz you know they have better food than we do. by feeding them all the same I don't have to care who eats where.

Thank you for the info...I was just curious. I give mine the starter the same as you until that first bag is gone, then I start them on the laying pellets. I have always had good luck with my chickens and they lay year around, although not quit as good in the winter.

Thanks again,
Victoria

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. They are absolutely gorgeous! I have one and she is a few weeks old and is already almost completely black and has one white feather on each side of her back. I named her Oreo because of it :) But I cannot wait for my older babies to start laying. This Momma is getting impatient! :p

Back
Top Bottom