At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

I raised them from day old chicks. They think I am their mom...lol I now have 2 laying I'm so excited

I did to. In fact mine were just out of the shells when I got them. One was still attached to the shell when he picked it up to put it in my cage. lol
lol.png
I just don't understand why they act like they do with me. The RIR's don't like it when I pick them up but they don't go nutz like the BA's do. I THINK when I get rid of a few of these BA's they will calm down a whole lot, at least I HOPE so!

I have three Black Australorps, and I agree that they are gorgeous birds. I'd like to hear some more experiences as to when they start laying. I'm getting married this fall and will be gone when they are 21-22 weeks old, and I'm kind bummed about potentially missing the first eggs. But it sounds like they might not start laying until a bit later than that, maybe? Probably not anything I can do to get them to wait until I'm home, LOL.

And, just because, here is a picture of my lovely ladies. They're a a little afraid of the camera and I had to lure them closer with dandelions.

I have three Black Australorps, and I agree that they are gorgeous birds. I'd like to hear some more experiences as to when they start laying. I'm getting married this fall and will be gone when they are 21-22 weeks old, and I'm kind bummed about potentially missing the first eggs. But it sounds like they might not start laying until a bit later than that, maybe? Probably not anything I can do to get them to wait until I'm home, LOL.

And, just because, here is a picture of my lovely ladies. They're a a little afraid of the camera and I had to lure them closer with dandelions.

Congrats on getting married but yeah I don't think they will wait on ya when it's really time to start laying. MAYBE yours will be later on laying though that would be great wouldn't it?

Based on my experience so far with one bird (lol!) you're good. Take all the time you need. Mine is around 28 weeks old and...nothin'!

My first one of 12 layed at 18 weeks and now at 25 weeks I have 9 maybe 10 laying......
I was wondering if maybe my australorpe wasn't getting the right nutrition balance or something, but if yours are all the same age but starting to lay at such a wide variety of ages all being fed the same (I'm assuming) then I guess that doesn't have anything to do with it.

They are all the same age but I can tell they have not all matured at the same rate. I still have some that their combs and waddles are not as red as others or as big. But I feed mine good laying pellets and then I take apples, broccoli, bird seed, rice, pasta, and tomatoes and other veggies I have on hand as treats.

Back
Top Bottom