At what age do mini pigs usually mate?

Pezzy12

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2020
I have a male and female pig who are a month apart in age (male is a month older). Im looking to breed them. They have lived together since they were young! (they are not related). I was wondering at what age to mini pigs usually mate...not become fertile, but actually do the deed. Ive been suspecting my female may be pregnant her belly is lower to the ground then the males but she is thicker then him in general so it may just be her body shape. Also I didn't think they were old enough to start breeding which casts doubts if she is actually pregnant. Need opinions! Here is a pic of her, she is very skiddish so its hard to get a good shot. But I will note yesterday when I had to pick her up to bring her outside she FREAKED. I haven't picked her up in months since she was tiny so I have nothing to compare it to or if her freaking THAT much is normal. Her not wanting to be handled is normal since she is very skittish and weary of people, but I noticed her belly was very hard and large, like you can't even push in on it. And she relaxed a bit more once I wasn't putting pressure on her stomach as I was carrying her. So maybe it hurts to be pushed on? Im not sure. Can pigs get worms? Could worms cause a solid extended abdomen? Anyway, let me know what you think thank you!! Sorry for rambling!

Attachments

• IMG_2890.PNG
    IMG_2890.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
They can "do the deed" as early as 2-3 months. Should a female be bred that young? Absolutely not. You really shouldn't have them together until you're ready for her to be bred. Otherwise you'll possibly have babies having babies. How old are they?

Yes, pigs can get worms.

How old are they? Do you know when was the last time she came into heat? The female doesn't look very pregnant yet but i'd like to see a closer side pic of her belly and face. She could just be fat, Is her head/neck wrinkly/fat looking? '

I'm not used to breeding mini pigs. But most sows wont really have much of a baby bump until a month before delivering, or at least standard size sows. I'd also look for a milk line on her stomach as well.

How old are they? Do you know when was the last time she came into heat? The female doesn't look very pregnant yet but i'd like to see a closer side pic of her belly and face. She could just be fat, Is her head/neck wrinkly/fat looking? '

I'm not used to breeding mini pigs. But most sows wont really have much of a baby bump until a month before delivering, or at least standard size sows. I'd also look for a milk line on her stomach as well.
I was able to take better pics today while she was eating lunch! I can't look under her stomach she won't allow me that close and she has black hair on her belly so its hard to tell if there are any lines. I have no idea about heat unfortunately. Her cheeks puff out a little more then the males, might just be hair tho she has more hair on her upper half, but she doesn't have extra skin rolls anywhere or noticeable fat. They eat a measured amount so are not overfed or underfed. I wasn't looking to breed them this soon, tho I was planning on it when she was a year old. I was told the males weren't fertile until 9-10 months which is why I didn't bother separating them. She is only 7 months old. The male is 8 months old . I have since separated them.

Attachments

• IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I was able to take better pics today while she was eating lunch! I can't look under her stomach she won't allow me that close and she has black hair on her belly so its hard to tell if there are any lines. I have no idea about heat unfortunately. Her cheeks puff out a little more then the males, might just be hair tho she has more hair on her upper half, but she doesn't have extra skin rolls anywhere or noticeable fat. They eat a measured amount so are not overfed or underfed.
Watch for her and see if she comes into heat. She may act more needy/ vocal, and the boar won't be leaving her side much when she's in heat. her vulva will be a little more swollen and the heat can last up to six days. How old is she? Her belly does look a bit suspicious.. But again It's really hard to tell if a pig is pregnant until the last couple of weeks before delivery.

They can "do the deed" as early as 2-3 months. Should a female be bred that young? Absolutely not. You really shouldn't have them together until you're ready for her to be bred. Otherwise you'll possibly have babies having babies. How old are they?

Yes, pigs can get worms.
It was my understanding males weren't fertile until they were at least 9 or 10 months old which is why they were together all this time. I was planning on breeding them, but not so soon. She is 7 months old, he is 8 months. I have since separated them now that I know he IS fertile. I will get dewormer just in case

Watch for her and see if she comes into heat. She may act more needy/ vocal, and the boar won't be leaving her side much when she's in heat. her vulva will be a little more swollen and the heat can last up to six days. How old is she? Her belly does look a bit suspicious.. But again It's really hard to tell if a pig is pregnant until the last couple of weeks before delivery.
I edited my answer with more info :)

I wasn't looking to breed them this soon, tho I was planning on it when she was a year old. I was told the males weren't fertile until 9-10 months which is why I didn't bother separating them. She is only 7 months old. The male is 8 months old . I have since separated them.
Ok. Have you weighed her at all? 7 months is a bit young.. Do you have a vet you can possibly have come out and check her out? The male definitely could have bred her at 8 months..

Ok. Have you weighed her at all? 7 months is a bit young.. Do you have a vet you can possibly have come out and check her out? The male definitely could have bred her at 8 months..
Cant weigh her as just holding her still is near impossible. she screams and thrashes , which is an understatement. She is sometimes ok with me just using one hand to touch her lightly but often scurries away at that too. Yeah breeding her this young was NOT the plan. If I hadn't been wrongly informed they would have been separated months ago. Theres no vet that does home visits around here that I know of, I can look into that further. Closest vet that I know sees pigs is 2 hours away and its literally impossible to load her into a car, I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom