At what age do these breeds start laying?

katlovesaandw

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Oregon
We bought 3 Silver Cuckoo Marans, age 7 mo. that had just started laying. Well, they have been here 3 weeks and it took one (10) days to start and the other (14) days to start laying, the 3rd so far hasnt done anything. We checked online and learned they are late layers usually between 7-9 months.

FF to yesterday and the fact that chickens are addicting!! We purchased 3 tweens yesterday, age 2 months. And I cannot find anywhere online WHEN these breeds should start laying. The gentleman we got them from said in about 2 months but that seems REALLY early.

(1) Easter Egger
(1) Black Australorp
(1) Gold Laced Wyandotte

If anyone can give us a better idea, that would be GREAT!

TIA

Cool! That sounds more like it then! So by Sept./Oct. they should start laying, pending a molt, weather, etc. that could interfere with that.
That is about what I thought, but then we are new at this..... so thought maybe I was clueless!LOL

I love our EE and she was a bonus buy. We went to get the BA for me, and the GLW for hubby and the man had a whole batch of tweens, all 2 mo. and was selling most of them. He was keeping a few. Well, the EE is so pretty, she is yellow with blue undertones, darker copper neck, and looks like a dinosaur with her eyes and movement! Hubby goes man she is gorgeous and was hemming and hawing about not getting his GLW and gettting the EE instead. I just said get them both! Hence the reason we named her Fossil aka Fossy because her eyes look like the velociraptor eyes on Jurassic Park. She is TOTALLY cool! And SO friendly!

We suffer from Multiple Chicken Syndrome! Is there a support group for that?LOL

My Wyandottes were the LAST ones to lay so I'm thinking about 30 weeks for them. The Austrolorps were one of the first at right at 26 weeks and the EEs were close behind at 27-28 weeks. That's just my experience though.

yep, that sounds right to me with my experience too. I'm thinking you should post a pic of your new tweens!
smile.png

Ok, working on getting a slideshow done of the girls. I took pics today. BRB with pics!

Ok, not sure if this will work as this is my first time posting pics or links on this board! Should work if you click on chicken pic below to take you to my slideshow of all 6 girls.

Last edited:
My GLW was close to a year before she started laying. After about four monthes she went broody on me.......crazy chicken.

Back
Top Bottom