At what age do they NOT need supplemental heat?

Im getting chicks this weekend, yipppeee Baby Cochin Bantams
big_smile.png

Our temp right now is 75 (9:30 p.m.) during the day its hotter. So do you think they would need the lamp that long since its really warm here?

I would follow the rule about starting them at 95 for the first week, 90 for the second week, etc. They really need heat and warmth at first to be healthy, especially at night. Think about it -- they run under their momma and get heated up anytime they want if raised with a hen. But you don't have to buy an expensive setup -- just use a regular old light bulb. And put a thermometer in the pen so you can measure the temp in there.

My chicks started in a draft free shed in early April. I forget the actual outside temps., but at that time of year around here it's usually high 60s, low 70s during the day; 30s and 40s at night. We had an oil filled electric heater going in the shed, plus two heat lamps over their brooder.
By the end of the first week we realized it was getting too hot in the shed during the days since the shed was uninsulated and the afternoon sun was beating down on it. We moved them in their brooder with the draft guard and their two lamps to our screened porch.
At two weeks I started taking them outside for at least a few hours every day on windless days. The rest of the time they were in their brooder, surrounded by the draft guard and with both lights running.
By week three they were down to one light in the day, both lights at night - temps. in the high 70s during the day; lows in the 40s and 50s at night.
When they got to be 5 1/2 weeks old, my SO insisted I start leaving their light off at night. The nighttime temps. were in the high 50s, low 60s.
Never once did I see any distress from my chicks and believe me, I was constantly checking.
Now at almost a year old I have some very hardy chickens. They're outside no matter the weather. They have played in ice storms and don't mind heat.
I truly believe that getting them out off the heat as soon as your weather allows and letting them explore and be exposed to germs is good for them.
Just my 2 cents.

Yikes, good thing I didnt kill the first baby chicks I ever got. About 6 years ago.

I kept them in the house with no light/heat. Just the temps that our house was. Didnt know that they needed a heat lamp. Few weeks later put them outside. They all survived. It was spring here in AZ so it was pretty warm thank goodness.

Im so glad that I found this group
big_smile.png
Dont want to accidentally cause a death.

Quote:
Born and raised in AZ and I don't think my mom ever heated the chicks past a couple of weeks, it just gets too hot here. I'm in a cooler part of the state so I might have the lamp until 6 weeks but won't have it until June that's for sure!

Quote:
My little girls run around in shorts and teeshirts. Cant get them to wear pants or anything warmer (LOL)

Good to know. It does get super hot. I live right in Mesa, all the pavement, makes for very hot days.

Back
Top Bottom