At what age do you allow new chicks to run free with the adult flock?

redfeather

Songster
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
My EE and RIR pullets are about 4.5 weeks old now, and nearly completely feathered out. I just bought 9 more chicks (Blue Cochins, Welsummers and Buff Orpingtons), so I will need to move the older chicks out of the outdoor pen in approximately 2-3 weeks here soon....

Anyway, the adult inhabitants of the coop consist of 2 birds-- one is a 3 y.o BO rooster, and the other is a 7 month old BO pullet. Today I let the 4.5 week olds have a "trial" run with the big birds. They happily ran around peeping and pecking and scratching around... They were out for about 1/2 an hour and during that time the older BO pullet pecked at them a few times (maybe three times total) to have a young chick run away screaming... but ultimately there was no blood, and everyone seemed to get along OK.

When do you typically let the little'uns run with the big'uns? Do you think I should go ahead and release my little chicks now? Since I only have 2 "big chickens" I plan on just feeding EVERYONE chick starter until the youngest chicks (the 3-day-olds I have in the house right now) no longer need it.

Any advice?

Since you only have 2 birds that would be bullying the youngsters, I would wait about a month and then add them. But giving them access to see the big birds on a daily basis is a good start to getting everyone used to eachother.
thumbsup.gif
Good luck!

Well, they've been out in the grow out pen in-sight of the two older ones for about two weeks. They simply cannot stay there for a whole 'nother month though... they will be lucky if I let them stay in it another 2 weeks. Once the new 3 day old chicks are too big for the brooder they HAVE to go out and steal the grow-out pen from them... and I don't think it would be wise to mix 2 week old chicks with six week old chicks (also it would be incredibly, horribly crowded).

I guess my question is... is it safe, presumeably, to put out 4 week old chicks with adult birds now or wait until the last possible moment?

Last year I partitioned off a section of the coop for the younger chicks and let the older ones get use to them. I carried the little buggers back and forth for 2 weeks!!! (I have two Barred Rock I call Evil 1 and Evil 2 because they are awful to any new birds) That was after they were fully feathered out , I kept them in a brooder till then.

After about two weeks I got tired of catching and dragging the younger ones out. One day I locked the young ones in the coop and left the older ones out. The next day I did the same thing. I fixed a hiding place that the young ones could get in and the older ones couldn't. That night I put everyone in the coop and said a prayer. The next morning everyone was OK, hiding but OK.

I have been letting my 6 week old chicks out to free range, they are so cute! I have a dark brahma hen and a little banty. At first they tried to chase and peck the little ones, I had to step in. Now they pretty much ignore them, some minor chasing. When I see buffy get that "look" and head for the little ones I get inbetween her and them. I put her up on a couple occasions, so the little ones could have more playtime.

Sometimes when the little ones are out they go into the big girl pen. I had to take them out and put them in their own pen tonight. I have not housed them all together yet but the little ones are growing fast.

Quote:
Ahh, okay I see your problem. Honestly, I wouldn't. Perhaps you could let them free range all day in your yard? Then the little ones could get away.

If you have the room, maybe add a dog X Pen next to the brooder they re currently used to. I use a X Pen with plastic mesh zipped tied to make the holes smaller and I can lay a piece of plywood on top if I feel the need for a lid to contain flyers. Anyway the younger chicks live in this and then I can open it as I want and they know it as home and will go back. I also have a 6 x 6 ft dog kennel as a jr pen. When the time seems right I open the door and they mingle with the older chickens and everyone can have their space but slowly eat together. My hen will usually peck a younger bird over scratch or roost space.

This was when I moved two broody hens to their own space after the chicks hatched.

40707_outdoorbrooderpen.jpg

I don't really have that much room. I have an 8'x8' plastic shed with one 12''x12'' opening going out to the 16'x12' run.

The chicks that are living in the coop right now are confined to a 2'x4' dog pen with chicken wire over the top. I MIGHT be able to improvize something to open it up so they can escape into it, but unlikely... I can just see them getting confused and trying to go behind it all the time and getting stuck between the cage and the wall.

Between the feeder and waterers, steel storage containers and nest boxes, there's not tooo much room to manuver.

I really can't let the babies free range all day. Our yard is a narrow strip of grass with thick bushes full of opossums and raccoons. Only the coop itself is protected by an electric wire. Oh, there's also lots of hawks and eagles... coopers, redtails, baldies.... you get the picture! Lol.... I also think the occasional rat could take out a 4week old chick no problem.
sad.png

I am in a similar boat, I have two 1 year old Brahmas (so big chickens) and thought I bought two female golden comets when in fact I have one girl Spaz, and one boy so Stacy is now Stewart but I live in a neighborhood and will have to get rid of Stewart, once his cute little attempt at crowing becomes mastered. The comets are now almost 8 weeks old. I'm wanting to put them together before I have to get rid of Stewart because poor spaz will be picked on so bad such a dilemma what to do what to do what to do ??

well the original poster can try it.... but it is a large size difference, and this situation does not generally work, there are exceptions, but hoping everyone is nice and gets along generally does not work.

The other solution is to get rid of your two older birds. The roo is getting old, and the hen should be laying well, so someone should want her. That would give you happier flock dynamics.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom