At what age do you cull extra roosters?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I'm getting ready to hatch some eggs from my chickens. We have limited space and are only aiming for anywhere between 2 and 4 new hens. Since we already have a rooster for our 5 previous hens, I can't be keeping any of the roosters. At what age do you cull the extra roosters? We hatched eggs last year for the first time and then I waited until they were nearing adulthood, but I'm guessing that maybe that is too long to wait this time around. I find the idea of culling a younger bird much harder than an adult one, so I want to make sure I do things right. Do you cull as soon as you're sure of the sex or would you wait, and if you wait, why? Also, if you could direct me to a good method of culling for the correct age that would also be helpful. I have arthritic hands and am not physically very strong, I am afraid of wounding a bird, so I want to do things in a way where I feel in total control. For adult birds I have used a cone and it has worked well for me because I have two hands to get the job done.

Hi there! From what I've experienced, once you are certain that some chicks are roosters, at around 4-6 weeks, then I would (and have in the past) cull them then. A few reasons would be because it will save you some on feed costs, and it's a sure way to make sure that your hens and established roo doesn't get stressed with any additional /unnecessary competition. Hope this helps :)

Hi there! From what I've experienced, once you are certain that some chicks are roosters, at around 4-6 weeks, then I would (and have in the past) cull them then. A few reasons would be because it will save you some on feed costs, and it's a sure way to make sure that your hens and established roo doesn't get stressed with any additional /unnecessary competition. Hope this helps :)
And it is much easier to do at a young age :)

It depends on your situation and needs. For me, I find culling cockerels easier if I am also utilizing the meat, so I wait to cull until ~4-5 months if I can so that there is a reasonable amount of good, tender meat. I live in a pretty urban area where roosters aren't allowed, but give neighbors eggs so they are pretty tolerant of some temporary crowing, plus I don't mind the extra feed costs if it means a tasty meal for my family.

Thank you for all your replies! I think 4-6 weeks it is then. I would of course love to keep them for meat which we did last year, but for the sake of the rest of the flock and for the feed costs, I'd opt for taking them out as soon as possible. We'll see though when it comes down to it. I certainly did postpone it as long as I could the last time around!

I harvest at 16 weeks. I mainly eat poultry I have hatched and raised.
Screenshot_20201124-175957.png

I use a PVC pipe cutter and a cut up kitty litter jug.

Screenshot_20210310-082936.png

KIMG0330_01.JPG

I'm getting ready to hatch some eggs from my chickens. We have limited space and are only aiming for anywhere between 2 and 4 new hens. Since we already have a rooster for our 5 previous hens, I can't be keeping any of the roosters. At what age do you cull the extra roosters? We hatched eggs last year for the first time and then I waited until they were nearing adulthood, but I'm guessing that maybe that is too long to wait this time around. I find the idea of culling a younger bird much harder than an adult one, so I want to make sure I do things right. Do you cull as soon as you're sure of the sex or would you wait, and if you wait, why? Also, if you could direct me to a good method of culling for the correct age that would also be helpful. I have arthritic hands and am not physically very strong, I am afraid of wounding a bird, so I want to do things in a way where I feel in total control. For adult birds I have used a cone and it has worked well for me because I have two hands to get the job done.
I wait till they start crowing usually unless im eating the bird then I wait as ling as possible

If you know its a rooster and your plan is to cull no need to wait and waste money feeding him

Back
Top Bottom