At what age do you stop using heating lamp

nlsf

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2017
Hello everyone I'm getting ready to move some of the chicks into their teenage coop but I'm wondering when everyone stops using the heating lamp on their chicks. I've gotten a lot of different answers so I'd like to see what you guys say!

Hello,
Once they have all their feathers , off it goes. But the temperature is also is a factor.Theres a reason most hatcheries sell spring chicks because two to three months later its warm and out they go!!!

You'll know when they spend all day away from the heat source and sleep on the perch that they're fine ......

Sorry no solid answer I sound like a politician
1f609.png
1f609.png
1f609.png
1f609.png

How old are they, and have you been working on weaning them from the heat lamp? Generally, weaning starts around 2 - 3 weeks, depending on the temp of the environment they are in, then by the time they are 4 - 5 weeks old, they should be fully feathered, and off lamp completely, and should be good to go with outside temps. (again, a bit of leeway and common sense based on time of year, and ambient temps. Have you checked out heating pad brooding? If not there's an article in my signature about it.

They are probaly about a month and a half and are fully feathered. I have their baby area so that the heat lamp is pointed in one area so they can move away as needed. I've notice they stay far away from the light and are the only ones fully feathered as they are older than the other chicks.

If you are using a heat lamp, by the time they are 2 weeks old, it's time to start weaning them from the lamp by turning it off for ever increasing time periods, using their behavior as an indicator for how long to leave it off. Of course the weaning needs to be adjusted depending on season, climate, and ambient temperature. By 4 - 5 weeks they should be fully feathered and require no heat at all. As for moving them out side, that should be done incrementally as well. Out for play dates when weather is nice, for increasing length of time till they are out all day long, and only inside at night without any supplemental heat, then they can go outside for good. I avoid this whole weaning process by brooding outside and using a heating pad brooder. They wean themselves.

I have my 3.5 wk old chicks in an indoor brooder with the house temp between 68 and 72. I've not used a heat lamp for about a week and they seem completely happy but still cuddle to sleep. I have also been introducing them to their future home outside during the nicer days with no added heat. They're outgrowing their brooder quickly so I may move them permanently and intend to add heat in the evening/ rainy days as our evening temps dip to 44/50.
Will they be fine at these temps after 6 wks without heat?

Mine tend to give me the no more please around 3-5 days old even with it up high, only exception is if I end up needing to hatch out in winter here at 3 days old I start taking them outside until they all want to come snuggle and they do fine

Back
Top Bottom