At what age should I intruduce my baby silkie chicks to my rooster?

Wjeffgriggs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Inside I have 5 silkie chicks 1 three weeks old, 3 two weeks old, and 1 just a week old. Out in the coop I have a lone sizzle polish looking rooster that is 4 months old. He is the most non aggressive rooster I have ever seen. I had 3 Road Island Red hens(same age) and they picked and pecked at him non stop. I eventually decided to seperate them after 3 weeks of them not letting up.
My question is at what age should I start letting the silkie chicks socialize with the rooster? I am afraid if the chicks get to old they will pick on the rooster. Also I do not know what to do with my RIR hen. She will not get along with any other chicken it seems like. Right now I have her seperated.

I have 10 RIR's, I went a bought a pair of blue silkies, and they are very aggressive towards my silkie hen. Silkie roo has totally taken over RIR's. If you have separed him already, place chicks in the same space but separated so he can see them. If he is non aggressive, it should not take long for them to get along.

I have large fowl - Buff Orpington and Barred Rocks - and will never mix my Silkies in with them. Silkies have a soft skull and can suffer brain damage or death if they get pecked, so it is not worth the upset and trauma.

I feel bad for the roo, he is lonely and that is why I got the silkies. I figured they would get along good especially because he has 4 months on them. at first when I was trying to introduce him to the RIR's he badly wanted to hang out with them but they would not let him close. The pecking just got more and more aggressive over the days. He lost feathers and would go running in terror at the sight of the RIR chickens. I seperated the roo and one day I came home to find he got out and was attacked by something. Missing almost all his feathers on his back. I have been keeping him inside since. When I bring him out he is scared and will want to stay in my lap or very close to me. I am afraid the silkies will pick up on this loss of confidence in the roo whenever I introduce them and they will start picking on the roo also like the RIR's did. That is why I want to introduce the silkies to the roo as early as I can while they are still babies and establishing a pecking order. I was thinking this would bring its confidence back up some. Am I over thinking this?

Back
Top Bottom