At what age should we worm our new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mskayladog, May 20, 2012.

1. Mine or going to be 8 weeks wed. And please do let me know what to use.

2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have used Wazine on the babies. When they are older i have used safeguard can't egg eggs for a month.

3. Thanks, is there a chart for mixing wazine? I have 8 pullets that I want to worm when they are 12 weeks old.
    I know every puppy I have gotten has had worms I would think chickens would be the same.

4. Kay56

Kay56 Chirping

Jan 11, 2012
    Mskayladog....I have been wondering the same question... How much Wazine for two month old chicks? ....or do you wait until they are older?? How often are they supposed to be wormed?

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    note: wazine get only a few kind of worms.

6. I was also wondering if you put the medicine in the water or feed how can you be sure that each chick gets the correct amount and not to much.

7. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    wazine you mix with water over 6 weeks 2oz to a gal.

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Songster

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I'm pretty sure my chickens don't have worms. I wouldn't worm them without knowing if they did have any. You can take a fecal sample and have it checked., or just look for them.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    I've been advised by a vet not to deworm my chickens until they were at least 5 weeks old. The only dewormer I could get was for ostriches [​IMG] and the dosage was per kilogram body weight. So we had to estimate the combined weight of our flock, measure the amount of dewormer and I mixed it with their water and filled all their water bowls first thing in the morning, when they all have a drink. It isn't always possible to tell if your chickens have worms, so it's a good idea to deworm regularly.
    Make sure you follow up with another dose after a week, to kill the eggs and then deworm again every couple of months, just to be on the safe side.

He also gave me a tip for medicating chickens: take their food and water away for 3 hours, then replace with medicated water/food. It works well for medicine that needs to be ingested within a certain time after mixing it with their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: