At what age to neuter puppy?

I have 2 male pups (brothers) that were neutered at 4 months and 6 months. They are now almost 9 months old. While Tucker (4 months) has not really gained much weight since he was neutered - Sparky still continues to gain (he was done at 6 months. So I am still not sure what the affect of neutering has done to their physical development. Neither one has changed behavior at all Tucker is still the dominate dog of the house
roll.png

BTW: To those of you that do agility/rally/obiedience - is that limited to purebred dogs also? Tucker has had basic obedience classes but I want to do something more with him. He can jump a 4 foot fence, almost made it over the 6 foot and "thinks" through problems but he is a mixed breed.

And I totally agree that leaving dogs intact is more risky than fixing. I think the debatable element is the age at which it is done.

I agree with females... and I do spay all my girls when feasible. But after watching several males die of the prostate issues AFTER neutering, I'm on the fence about the males.

As to weight gain, I can absolutely dispel that myth! My female pit bulls are generally spayed by 8 months of age and I defy anyone to say they are fat! The dog in my avatar was 7 years old when that photo was taken, had been spayed since 1 year of age and she is typical of my altered dogs. Again, there seems to be a HUGE difference in WHEN it is done and how it affects the dogs... think capon chicken versus rooster and gelding versus stud... an early age alter IS a much less physically mature animal than one which is altered later in life. An early age neuter always ends up looking like Richard Simons.

Here is Erin Fay at 7 years of age (having been spayed for 6 years)

erspring.jpg

This is K9 Moto, an adult neuter male pit which I donated to the WSP and he is now a well respected dope dog.

mike1.jpg

An adult neuter male pit bull showing no signs of fat...

taz1sm.jpg

I'm not sure if early age neuters get "fat" but I know they don't develop muscle exactly the same.

Hey, there are MANY dogsports which allow mixed or unregistered dogs to compete in!!!! I'm glad to help direct anyone toward a sport in their area if you are interested... : )​

we neutered our pups at 6-7months old. For an average pet home, I think this is best.
It also depends on the size/breed. A smaller dog can/should be neutered sooner than a large breed. I've heard for especially large breeds (danes, st. bernards, etc) , it is best to wait till they're 10-15months old, but I realize this doesn't always work for people.

Most vets will tell you to neuter as soon as possible.

To get a complete run-down on the pros and cons of early spay and neuter, why not go to the veterinarians who make animal reproduction their specialty? The Society for Theriogenology (animal reproductive science) has a position statement on Mandatory Spay and Neuter legislation online where they lay out all the issues very clearly and with references; their position statement on this issue is also a good source for those who have questions about the pros and cons of early spay/neuter, like the OP. This is the most balanced and sane position I've seen on this issue:

http://therio.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=323
Go to "Mandatory Spay - Neuter" and "Basis for Position on Mandatory Spay - Neuter."

I have only had female dogs, but I've always waited until they were fully mature and their bone plates fused before spaying - just in case. So spaying for my girls has been at about 1 year to 1 1/2 years. My girls compete in agility.

This really is a difficult question for any dog owner. I probably wouldn't s/n before 1 yr old to give the dog a chance to properly develop. (but I am able to handle a b*tch in season, no easy task sometimes) I chose to keep my springer female intact even though I did not plan on breeding her. Every single springer I've spayed or neutered (6 or 7) over 35 yrs has gotten incontinence (even the males). I figured I'd take my chances with Cari and she is now 11 yrs old with no problems. I've read that very early s/n results in a delay in the long bones closing, leading to taller than usual dogs with increase in problems (possibly increase in hip displaysia too) My beloved Dobe was spayed at 8 mos and died at 8 yo from lymphoma...wouldn't have had a chance to develop breast cancer but sure did have lots of problems with incontinence.

Quote:
I read some of the link and will be back to read it later when I have more time. This i found interesting:

In general, the advantages of spaying or neutering a pet include effective population control, decreased aggression, decreased wandering, decreased risk of being hit by a car,

Really not trying to open up another can of worms on this subject but I would really love to see the data that says supports the "hit by car" comment. I have worked in several Vet hospitals and most HBC dogs were already spayed/neutered. My locations probably had something to do with it though, the hospitals I worked in were Metro to Suburbs.
idunno.gif

It probably has to do with the decreased wandering...If they aren't running the streets less chance of being hit by a car.

I was reminded of another good reason not to spay early. Incontinence. I wait on my akita and while she has submissive urination issues when greeting people she never developed incontinence problems. To get the papers for our shiba the breeder required neutering by 3 months. Now every year for a month or 2 she ends up on pills for incontinence. For some reason it's triggered by getting vaccinations. I also know dozens of people who's shelter females have issues. Some the medication doesn't help and they have to wear a diaper all day. Occasional I have seen the owner make the decision to put them down because of the severity and inability to keep them from leaking urine all over the house. I don't know any performance dogs or former breeders spayed late that have that problem. It doesn't apply as much to male dogs but it's just one more reason not to do early spay if possible.

Dogs and cats can be spayed/neutered at either 8 weeks old or when they hit 2 pounds. Many vets like to wait until they are six months old. Personally, I'd get females done ASAP. I usually wait for male dogs to reach at least a year old. Just personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom