At what point should I assist?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jksmith, Mar 22, 2012.

  1. Jksmith

    Jksmith Out Of The Brooder

    Jul 1, 2011
    When should I help a chick hatch? Today is day 21 and 5 of 9 have already hatched. Three have no pip marks yet so they might be a day behind, but the one I am concerned about now has opened a quarter inch size hole but has made no further progress in several hours. I can see the beak and she is breathing, but no other activity. Humidity is about 74%. I am concerned because on my last hatch I had one like this and I waited a full 12 hours before helping, and I was able to save her, but she was crippled from being in the egg too long. (curled toes/feet) I made her some corrective shoes and after a couple of days, her feet straightened out and she is fine now. However, I don't want that to happen to this one and I am not sure how long I should wait. I know 12 hours was too long but I also don't want to jump in to quickly either. What do you all do when you have one like this?
  2. smchickfarm

    smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 9, 2010
    I would wait.......I have had several that take 24 hours from the first pip to hatching. I have had to help before but as a last resort. I know it hard, but don't open the incubator, your others will be fine. If you have to get the hatched ones out, do it quickly. U can use a spray bottle of water and mist the inside a little (to keep the humidity up) while you quickly get the dried off chicks out.

    hang in there and keep us posted. [​IMG]
  3. spatulagirl

    spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I am by no means an expert (just did my first hatch) but my second chick that hatched pipped and then didn't hatch until 24 hours later but she did it in about two hours. My first egg took 24 hours of slow work to hatch.
  4. Jksmith

    Jksmith Out Of The Brooder

    Jul 1, 2011
    Well, I waited as long as I could before jumping in, but the poor thing was stuck and just seemed to be getting weaker, so I ran the shower until the bathroom was really heated up and humid and then I slowly chipped away the shell in tiny pieces by sliding a rounded pair of tweezers between the shell and membrane until I could break off and remove the piece of shell and examine the membrane below for active blood vessels. Once I saw that the vessels were already dry and that the yolk sac appeared to be absorbed, I finished zipping the rest of the way around until she came alive with a burst and pushed her way out into my hand. She is resting now but seems to be normal in every way. I think she pipped too big of a hole (qtr inch) at first and then waited too long to start zipping therby drying out too much and getting stuck and unable to finish the job. That's my guess anyway. I'm just glad she is out now and doing well. I have three left that have not pipped externally yet so I will candle them tomorrow to see if I can tell what's going on but I know sometimes they come a day late. I'm curious though, out of a dozen at lockdown, how many do you guys usually have hatch late and how late? Thanks! 99% of everything I have learned in my short time in this "obsession" has been from you guys here so thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience with people like me just getting started!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by