At what temp do eggs get to cold?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by americana-chick, Dec 31, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    My incubator has been at 98.8-99.1 all day today.. i am trying to mix it but dont want to make the temps to high or to low.. is 98.8 low enough to kill the chicks? (day 12)

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    No, it'll just make them hatch later. Up it a little if you can but otherwise they should be ok. Just don't expect them on day 21. Might be more like day 25. Good luck!

3. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:Ok thanks [​IMG] its only been today, everyother day the temps have been anywhere from 99.5-100 so do you still think they will be that late?

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Oh - if it's only been one day then maybe not. If it's consistently low, then yes. Either way don't give up if they don't hatch right on schedule. I've had perfect temps and still had some hatch as late as day 25!

5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a strafoam incubator and the temp is slightly low (And a fan incubator. I hear still incubators require higher temps), you can put a towel or two on top of the incubator & around it as insulation. It might bring the temp up enough for you. For a foam incubator with a fan you want it to be about 99.5 or so.

6. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:I do have a towl around the incubator. And actuall i think that a still incubators temp is suppose to be 99.5 not circulated air incubators they need higher temps.
    Thanks everyone!

7. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:I do have a towl around the incubator. And actuall i think that a still incubators temp is suppose to be 99.5 not circulated air incubators they need higher temps.
    Thanks everyone!

actually still air incubators need to be at 101.5 degrees at the top of the eggs because the heat doesn't get circulated. what is your incubators model?

8. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Thanks everyone!

actually still air incubators need to be at 101.5 degrees at the top of the eggs because the heat doesn't get circulated. what is your incubators model?

Really? Everyone i have asked and on the box for the incubator it says it should be 99.5-100..? and that is what i always do.

9. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:actually still air incubators need to be at 101.5 degrees at the top of the eggs because the heat doesn't get circulated. what is your incubators model?

Really? Everyone i have asked and on the box for the incubator it says it should be 99.5-100..? and that is what i always do.

at the top of the eggs in a still air it should be 101.5 because there is nothing spreading the heat around like in a forced air bator. the forced ar needs to be lower, 99.5-100

I can give you the website where I learned this, and in my incubator manual it says the same thing.

http://shilala.homestead.com/incubating.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by