At wits end. Neighbors dogs

Quote:
I agree. This seems to be another case of a dog simply walking unobstructed into a yard.

No, this is another case of a dog walking OUT OF an unobstructed yard. Ticks me off to no end that everybody blames the chicken owner for not having a dog-proof fence, rather than the dog owner. And in situations like mine, fencing 7 acres would cost me thousands more that it would cost the dog owner to enclose the back yard.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com, www.PivotalForce.com

Quote:
I understand how you feel. If your chickens stay on your 7 acres, great. If the dog does not stay on its property, that is an irresponsible dog owner. Of course, the reverse is true as well; we are responsible for keeping our animals on our property, however we manage that, and whatever the animal is, I feel.

Some on here do feel it is a chicken owner's responsibility to fence his chickens, or other animals, period. I don't think we have the right to say that, if our animals stay on their own property.

I love dogs but I hate people who don't keep the dogs in check! I once cought a dog that had killed one of my chickens! I tied the dead checken around his neck with a note saying next time the dog just will not make it home! And you will never know for sure what happened to him! That took care of that problem. But sad to say I have had no choice but to kill a few dogs over the years! I only do it when I have to! The local cops here understand and have come down on some of the dog owners! Telling them keep the dogs home or they will be killed and also telling the dog owners they will be held responsable for andy livestock killed or injured by there dogs! One man told the officer to prove it was his dog! The officer told him the proof would be my bullet in the dog! Its great when you have country cops that understand and have some common since!

Its not MY job to fence in my yard..IF my birds stay IN my yard! Its each owners job to keep THEIR animals IN their own yards. The dog was running loose..period.

Last edited:
A few years ago I went out to do horse chores in the morning and found 2 large dogs in the paddock with my pony. She tried to come toward me and they tried to attack her. I chased them off with a lunge whip. Turns out the pony had been bitten and her hooves were damaged from running away from them, probably all night. When I called dog control she said the county (here in NY) pays damages for any attacks on livestock. She was right. I had the vet and the farrier out to fix the pony, the town assessor came out and examined the animal and cut me a check for the bills. The dog control officer knew who owned the dogs when I described them and we went to their house but they swore the dogs hadn't been off their chains, even though they were covered in burdocks and mud. She told me to shoot ANY animal that is menacing my livestock in the future.

Quote:
I agree. This seems to be another case of a dog simply walking unobstructed into a yard.

No, this is another case of a dog walking OUT OF an unobstructed yard. Ticks me off to no end that everybody blames the chicken owner for not having a dog-proof fence, rather than the dog owner. And in situations like mine, fencing 7 acres would cost me thousands more that it would cost the dog owner to enclose the back yard.

Kathy, Bellville TX

By all means replace "into" with "out of" if that makes you feel better. I'm not blaming the chicken owner, but if purpletree is siting on 7 acres surrounded by "strange dogs" then she might want to be a little more proactive rather than reactive.

Quote:

Kathy, Bellville TX

By all means replace "into" with "out of" if that makes you feel better. I'm not blaming the chicken owner, but if purpletree is siting on 7 acres surrounded by "strange dogs" then she might want to be a little more proactive rather than reactive.

I'd be reloading 'ol Proactive if I had to worry about the neighbors dogs getting into my chickens, not fencing my property.
smile.png
Part of the joys of country life and neighbors I suppose.

But seriously, you shouldnt have to fence your animals IF they can be controlled. My dog is a great dane, he wont wander more than 20 feet from the porch, and the chickens love to roost on him. he's never known a fence. but, on the other hand, i understand my responsibility to my neighbors if I have a dog who is prone to wander or agressive.

Also, with regards to having to fence in your chickens.. against predators, yes. neighbors dogs, no.

also, I've never been in fear of my chickens going over to a neighbors house and harrassing or killing their dog!

Quote:
But they can sure make a mess of a flower bed, and I gave up on mulching bushes. Even if the neighbor just doesn't want the free fertilizer, they have a right.

I've read some posts on here where the attitude of the chicken owner was, what's the big deal if my chickens go next door? I don't disagree with your post at all -- was just thinking of this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the informative posts. I've learned a lot and feel more confident about fighting this in court. I'll just put on my big girl panties, take a deep breath and do what I have to do. Many of you made me laugh! Thank you. Because of your suggestions I will add all of my expenses together and present it to the judge.

I have a few neighbors who free range their chickens and I stopped by to tell them to be careful with their livestock and small pets. Funny thing is that EVERYONE said SSS.

Right now I am putting my faith in our system. If it fails me I'm jumping over to the SSS side.

Thanks again and God Bless

Back
Top Bottom