At wits end with biting chickens...

That's Pepper, but you're absolutely right. She does not back down from a confrontation. So do you train police dogs? Or did her pillow fight behavior lead you to volunteer her for police work?
Correction - Pepper.

No, I'm not involved with with police dog training .. just a stupid action on my part during tug sessions. I then spoke to a prof. dog trainer on YT who told me how stupid I was lol. I simply stopped playing tug with a pillow and she pretty soon stopped coming at me. She sleeps on that same pillow and has a completely new value for it as far as engagement with me goes. We safely play tug with a ball on a rope these days.

Correction - Pepper.

No, I'm not involved with with police dog training .. just a stupid action on my part during tug sessions. I then spoke to a prof. dog trainer on YT who told me how stupid I was lol. I simply stopped playing tug with a pillow and she pretty soon stopped coming at me. She sleeps on that same pillow and has a completely new value for it as far as engagement with me goes. We safely play tug with a ball on a rope these days.
Ah, I gotcha! So the pillow was amping your dog up. Probably not a huge deal with a tiny dog, but I'm guessing your dog is bigger. And hey, now you know (and so do I)! 😁

Edi.jpg

Edi, named after my gentle grandmother Edith, is a German Shepherd x Staffy. You can see the intensity on her face! She is all working dog; when Betty chicken raises the alarm, she is out there scoping for cats and checking on her flock.

I hope you find a simple solution with your attack chook :)

Last edited:
Your run space is great. No issues. Maybe add a roost or two. If they are roosting, they may just stay on the roost when you show up-problem solved. But, really depends on the chicken.

Sounds like Pepper may have taken on lead role -similar to a rooster, bc no rooster present. When I’ve had an actual rooster begin to show aggression, “pecking” them can help. One particular male needed to be chased by me and my stick. Every time I’d go in, he’d get chased and “pecked” by me. A few days of this…he avoided me. Worked for me. We had one crazy rooster (so beautiful too…really gorgeous), seriously wacky with aggression. I’d use a rebar garden stake in front of me (not to hit the rooster, just as an extension of me) and he’d bite that metal multiple times..fly up at the stake (me) biting, so much that we couldn’t even grab the waterer to freshen it..we’d have to wait for later in the day. So, some chickens are weirdly aggressive. But, yours is a POL (point of lay) pullet, who may settle down with some age.

If there is any other aggression happening, you could look at diet. Increase protein bc that can minimize certain problems. We feed a 20% protein all-flock, limited treats (which is often just wet feed with a few seeds sprinkled on top). We have to provide calcium on the side using oyster shell.

That would be it. I did teach Ginger to go to her "box" when I need to change the water or place a cage cup, so that buys me about 5 seconds before she comes for your fingers. I have no clue what the typical chicken is like, but she's EXTREMELY food motivated compared to the others. She literally vibrates with excitement. If my hands are empty, she leaves me alone.
I throw some scratch out into the run when I go out to do chicken chores.
Then open the pop door and they all go outside while I clean and top off the waterer and feeder.

Your run space is great. No issues. Maybe add a roost or two. If they are roosting, they may just stay on the roost when you show up-problem solved. But, really depends on the chicken.

Sounds like Pepper may have taken on lead role -similar to a rooster, bc no rooster present. When I’ve had an actual rooster begin to show aggression, “pecking” them can help. One particular male needed to be chased by me and my stick. Every time I’d go in, he’d get chased and “pecked” by me. A few days of this…he avoided me. Worked for me. We had one crazy rooster (so beautiful too…really gorgeous), seriously wacky with aggression. I’d use a rebar garden stake in front of me (not to hit the rooster, just as an extension of me) and he’d bite that metal multiple times..fly up at the stake (me) biting, so much that we couldn’t even grab the waterer to freshen it..we’d have to wait for later in the day. So, some chickens are weirdly aggressive. But, yours is a POL (point of lay) pullet, who may settle down with some age.

If there is any other aggression happening, you could look at diet. Increase protein bc that can minimize certain problems. We feed a 20% protein all-flock, limited treats (which is often just wet feed with a few seeds sprinkled on top). We have to provide calcium on the side using oyster shell.
Are you thinking additional perches in a new area? Because the back third of the run is a decent roost network, but it's furthest from the entry door.

Not going to lie, roosters freak me out! You're a brave individual with your rebar stake! Pepper must be acting as rooster of their little group. She protects everyone from the rake, and came to Ginger's aid when she was pinned down. It'd be heartwarming if I didn't have a hole in my hand! She's very gentle otherwise, so I'm hoping the hormones settle over the winter.

No other aggression. We do all-flock pellets in their treat balls and as hot mash, layer pearls in their poppy peck toys, sprouted wheatgrass 3-4 times/week, and a serving of BSFL every few days. I'm trying to find a higher protein base layer feed, as the two layers are cleaning out their oyster shell cup every week!

Also, thanks to everyone for helping me out (on Thanksgiving no less). I was feeling pretty upset about the whole ordeal, but I have some new perspective and strategies to try. Feeling very grateful for this community 🥰

But I believe I get your point: I’m risking bad behavior through familiarity? I’d have to rethink my goals for chicken keeping.
Maybe it's the confined quarters (yours are not all THAT confined, it's a lovely setup!) or just the particular chicken personalities?

Of my 8 pullets, all politely and enthusiastically take treats from my hands (dandelion greens, lettuce, sorrel leaves, mealworms) and several squat for me and seem to enjoy being held and petted. The Easter Eggers and Black Australorp don't want to be handled (Sheila the BA will tolerate it but not thrilled) while the Buff Orpington (flock queen), Barred Rock and Whiting's True Blue are always underfoot and eager for my attention. The Delaware and Rhode Island Red can "take it or leave it". So maybe breed related, or not... I just wouldn't give up on the "pet" part of pet chickens; maybe they'll mellow over time.🤞

Back
Top Bottom