At witts end

NestingHillsSC

Songster
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Tennessee
I have a rooster and a hen that are not right.

Here's what they don't have:
Runny Nose, Sneezing, Coughing or smelly head.

What they do have:
Head shaking
Beak stretching (Not gasping)
Tail feathers rough
SLEEP ALL THE TIME!!!!!

I already have treated with Tylan 50, Valbazen and Ivomec.

Found lice eggs on rooster. Been dusting him every 7 days for the last 3 weeks.
Found 1 poo pile in hen section with round worms. Treated everybody with the Valbazen. Seemed like hen went down after first treatment.

I just can't figure this out.

No. Just got the symptoms. Sleeps all day. They eat and drink just enough to live. Somebody suggested may get some Corid. I see some red in there poo every now and then, but the not right chickens have very dark forest green runny poo. With the white cap mixed in. Looks weird.

No. Just got the symptoms. Sleeps all day. They eat and drink just enough to live. Somebody suggested may get some Corid. I see some red in there poo every now and then, but the not right chickens have very dark forest green runny poo. With the white cap mixed in. Looks weird.

My first guess would have been worms/lice/mites,but as have already treated,i'm guessing you have that under control. Could be so many different things. First,what feed are they on? Have you checked their crop for any crop issues like impacted or sour crop? Green poop usually indicates not eating(other than eating grass clippings,etc.).

Well they were on fermented feed as chicks. Then when the hens started laying I switched them and the roosters back to dry food. Then all this started. So I switched them back to the fermented feed. Actually the hens now have both. Layena Pellets and the 20% meat bird maker fermented feed. They love that stuff, but if that's the only feed I keep in there the eggs will start to get soft. They won't eat the oyster shells.

I do notice also the one that aren't right have nasty butts. Some worse than others.

Hi there, one of my young hens is showing the same symptoms - tired and only eating a little. Thing is, I am new to chickens and dont know what to give her!
Well everything I gave them hasn't worked. It's been very wet and humid here all summer. The Tylan 50 seems to mask it for a few days then there back to sleeping again.

Hi there, one of my young hens is showing the same symptoms - tired and only eating a little. Thing is, I am new to chickens and dont know what to give her!

How old is she? First check her crop,you are looking for either and impact(crop stays full,does not empty overnight)or sour crop(crop may feel squishy,like a balloon,there may also be a foul smell coming from beak). Check her for lice/mites/worms,for mites/lice,look under wings,base of tail feathers and around vent area. What does her poop look like,usually one of the first signs of illness is a change in their poop.

Last edited:
Well they were on fermented feed as chicks. Then when the hens started laying I switched them and the roosters back to dry food. Then all this started. So I switched them back to the fermented feed. Actually the hens now have both. Layena Pellets and the 20% meat bird maker fermented feed. They love that stuff, but if that's the only feed I keep in there the eggs will start to get soft. They won't eat the oyster shells.

I do notice also the one that aren't right have nasty butts. Some worse than others.

Explain nasty butts? Do they have a whitish discharge from vent? If yes,you might want to look up information on vent gleet and see if that is what you are seeing.

Back
Top Bottom