Ate their feet off!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Frankallen, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Frankallen

Frankallen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Alabama
    Last nite some Varmits (Coons I think) attack my Quail!! They ate their feet and then some of them lost their Heads!!! These SOBs will pay tonite!!

I got my trap set with some of the dead birds......I might cut their feet off to show them ,how it feels?? I now that sounds sick.....But I am soooo

Damn mad!!!

Frank

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Good luck, Brother!

What size of wire do you have your birds on? I've heard of feet getting eaten off...just wonder how the crazy varmints can get just to the feet. Can you put some welded wire or something around the base of your cage to keep critters from getting underneath?

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Did they grab them through the cage? If they got in through a small whole it was probably rats, if they pulled them through the cage then it could have been coons, you need to improve your pens if coins are getting them, it's our responsibility to make sure our birds are protected, I know from experience that it hurts to lose birds so all we can do is fortify our cages

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] so sorry Frank , i KNOW how that feels . been there .
    HOWEVER...the predator was just doing what is natural ...but still...it's hard to accept

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

Its probably rats. Birds on wire floors are better off with a second layer of mesh several inches below that floor to prevent predators from pulling thier feet through the bottom.

6. dt1958

dt1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Down South
    darn, sorry for your loss & hope you get them varmits !! Are your quail on wire or the ground ?

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I am so sorry! Get them predators! [​IMG]

8. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    I'm so sorry my buddy Frank. I'd come over in my egg collecting "helmet and gear" and help you, but I would probably trip and fall again and then you'd have two problems![​IMG] (little joke between Frank and me) I hope the problem gets resolved. I feel for you. It makes a person very emotional from sad to angry and back again. That second layer of wire is a great idea.
    Hang in there my man. I saw your pen and even showed my DH to try and copy. Looked like you had it up high enough for a coon not to be able to reach, but you just never know...they get BIG and they are crafty. Some folks do use electric wire set up around the base of their housing..

Respectfully,
    Tonya in Colorado

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Rats Dont Often Eat Heads Off.... Sounds Like Coons, Cats, Or Owls

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I agree that rats probably wouldn't eat just the head, but they will eat the head. Could also be weasels/minks. Though if it were coons I'd expect the entire leg to be pulled off instead of just the feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by