1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Atheists and Humanists Group

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jak2002003, Sep 25, 2013.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Has anyone seen the Neil DeGrasse Tyson presentation on intelligent design? It's pretty cool. If you haven't seen it, search YouTube for it. It was presented at Beyond Belief conference. I'm also watching a lot of Lawrence Krauss videos lately. <3 Dr. Krauss.

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    everyone does have a choice, we will be dead a lot longer than we are alive, research as much as you want into every religion, check Webster's dictionary so that we know what the definitions are of the words we are using such as religion and dogma. I did not make a choice until I was 27 years old, then I spent the next 27 years making sure I had made the correct choice until I had personally reached a point of conviction.

3. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    We don't need a warning or directions about our "choice" anymore than religious people do. Think of how everyone would feel if the Atheists/Humanists commented on every prayer request posted here (on a poultry forum). I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that many Atheists/Humanists are very much content with their views of the world. Other threads referencing religion similarly don't include posts saying basically "are you sure you want to believe that?" Yet for some reason, it's "ok" for believers to say things to this effect to non-believers. We don't need further research because we've come to different conclusions than other people have. If your own philosophies work for you, bringing you peace and contentment, then stick with it -- that others have different philosophies shouldn't weaken yours.

:)

2 people like this.
  4. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    i agree

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    California
    I haven't seen much evidence for any religion, and I'm honestly pretty comfortable with the idea of there not being an afterlife. It's not like I'll notice the difference once I'm gone. :p

If it turns out I was wrong, I guess I'll have to face whatever consequences the creator(s) of the universe have chosen. That would stink, but I'm not a fan of Pascal's Wager and have no wish to subscribe to it.

6. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I don't like Pascal's Wager either.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    2x

8. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    x3. Because what if I go through all that trouble, and I chose the "wrong" one? No thanks. I'm sure a being capable of creating the universe wouldn't mind how I've lived my life.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm fine with no afterlife also. It's amazing the number of people that balk at that. Honestly, I'd rather enjoy the life I have now, than spend my life preparing for an afterlife I'm not even sure exists!

10. ocap

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I am trying to remember Akems razor. spelling is incorrect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by