Atkins Diet?? Anyone do it?

For me the key to success with the Adkins diet is you have to have food around that you can eat. You will notice that you eat more and when your hungry you need to have something to eat or you might give in to temptation of carbs or sugar...

I started Akins 'my own lo-carb' 06 January 2011....so far have lost 23.5lbs. it is February 24....not bad!
celebrate.gif

I eat salad or veggies instead of potatoe, pasta and bread. I snack on olives, boiled eggs, babyblle cheese. AND....I get bacon whenever I want!!!
clap.gif

I have found I am not hungry all the time and I accually eat less because I am not craving anything. I do not constantly think about food.....
celebrate.gif

Hehe! I'm doing the Atkins-ish thing I guess - low carb but high veggie, lower fruit, high "good" fat (natural fat), low or no "bad" fat (highly processed fats/oils), and lots of protein, all I want.

I made a big fritatta a couple days ago, and I use that as my "snacky food". It's like having a leftover pizza in the fridge for me - which was a BIG problem for me. I love snacking on leftovers.

My fritatta -
6 or 7 eggs (depending on what the hens produce size wise)
1 cup cheese
~1/2 pack bacon
1 can or 1 package spinach, drained (and thawed and drained if frozen). I rinse to get some of the weird taste out.
1 can mushroom, drained and rinsed.

Put bacon in a large skillet and cook til done. Remove bacon and cut into pieces, remove most of the bacon drippings, except for 1Tbs or so. Add the mushrooms and cook a bit, add spinach and bacon back, mix it all up well. Scramble the eggs in a bowl, add about 3/4 cup of the cheese, and then dump all over the bacon, mushroom, spinach mix. Put heat on med low or low, and let it cook. I like to cover mine to make it cook the top faster.

When the top isn't too wet and is mostly cooked, take a sheet pan or pizza pan, and put foil on it. Put it on the skillet, and flip over so the fritatta ends up on the pizza pan/sheet pan. Slide back into the skillet to finish cooking, and put the cheese on top to melt.

If you have an oven safe skillet, you can skip the pizza/sheet pan and just stick the skillet in the oven under the broiler with the cheese on top and broil til done and cheese melted. I like to light things on fire with my broiler, so I don't do this
big_smile.png

You can use other ingredients, I just happened to have that stuff on had.

I usually have a slice (I put it on the pizza pan when done), and then stick it in the fridge. When I need a snack or a bite of something to keep me from raiding for something worse, I cut a sliver off of it and munch on down. If I want it for a meal, I just cut a normal slice off and reheat. I do have to keep my husband off of it, he needs to finish eating all of the cookies in the house!

This got me by when I had the urge to snack...

Take pepperoni slices. Put a jalapeno pepper in the middle. On top of that put a cube of cheese. microwave it or put it in a toaster oven.

Another was to take and grind walnuts. Add some splenda and water and use that to make a cheesecake crust.

I am not crazy about the process used to make Splenda but it works for me.

I went on Atkins and went from 275 (UGHHH Fat!) to 218 in 4 or 5 months. I was losing 2 pounds a week on the average. The worst part was the lack of bread and potatoes. Since then we've tried to steer toward friendlier carbs such as whole wheat and pinto beans.

Don't forget about plateaus. We reach them in everything that we do. You'll hit a weight and stay there and stay there without any loss. Then one day it will start to give way again. I believe that we have old fat in some of our fat cells that isn't easily utilized by the body. I also believe that if you do add on some weight that it can come off very quickly since the fat that is being stored has been stored recently and is more readily used by the body.
Good luck. You can do it.

The worst thing about Adkins for me is cooking eggs in the morning. I'm not a morning person and I don't feel like cooking but my tummy is grumbling so I guess I'll go cook....bacon
droolin.gif
and eggs here I come.

bakerjw...you have to tell the rest of the cheese cake recipe.

Last edited:
I found one of the best snack foods, and fills you up, is take good quality deli meat (I always use boars head), either ham, or roast beef, or turkey, and make roll ups with them using cream cheese. Yummy!!!!!

Quote:
My friend did the bypass... shes had GREAT success with it. Sick for a little while, but is doing great now..
I am also leaning towards that... BUT..i want to have child someday.(not looking good though..
roll.png
..)..
Sooo... i dont want to have that surgery quite yet.... but,its def on my mind as an option.
I'm a chunky monkey.. but if i could lose even 50lbs..i know that i'd feel sooo much better and get some energy back... i'm just so exhausted.

I was 52 when I had mine. I wish the technology would have been there 20 years ago. I had sleep apnia, HBP, HC, borderline diabetic. All gone now. I actually run up stairs instead of trudging. I walk around fast everywhere just like those other people that used to annoy the heck out of me. What's amazing is the difference in how skinny people treat you. I meet and talk to people for about 1/2 hr at a time. The number of skinny people that are friendlier is amazing. I think a lot of it is attitude on my part. I feel much better about myself now. I also have hope of living another 20 years or so. Before I felt like I would be in a wheelchair if I made it to 65. If bypass is an option you might want to consider it. Insurance regulations on it are pretty tough and will probably just get tougher. This countries medical is going to go one way or the other in the next few years. Either everyone will have coverage at a reasonable cost or only the very well to do will have any coverage. Businesses are dropping their health plans left and right. That was another factor for me. I was afraid of deteriorating health and nowhere to turn to. So I got off the yoyo wagon. There are some people out there that can lose it and keep it off. I was just never one of those. When I was 24 I got down to 165. By the age of 30 I was at 300 and I yoyo'd between that and 260 till I was 52

Good luck with whatever you do.

I don't think surgery is the answer for everyone...I know it's not for me....if I gain a few pounds extra that I don't want I know I just have to diet/exercise (not so much on the exercise 'cause I'm always busy with something)but I just have to do it. I have know people that have had the surgery with both good and bad outcomes. Not to be too dramatic but one died, one almost died but has had medical problems since from the surgery, the other was fine and also was rid of his diabeties.

Back
Top Bottom