Attaching hardware cloth to chicken wired run

Also, my coop sits behind the run. I am thinking I need a predator proof tunnel to go from the door of the run to the run itself. Ideas on how to do this? The coop faces the SIDE of the run so either I need to cut a hole in the side of the run or somehow have the chickens enter through the human door of the run.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but I think you mean there is a space between the the pop door (where the chickens come out of the coop) and the run, and there's no corresponding hole in the run wall for the chickens to go in. Is that correct?

Can you take a picture of the side of the coop that is the facing the run? How far from the side of the run to the side of the coop?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but I think you mean there is a space between the the pop door (where the chickens come out of the coop) and the run, and there's no corresponding hole in the run wall for the chickens to go in. Is that correct?

Can you take a picture of the side of the coop that is the facing the run? How far from the side of the run to the side of the coop?
That is correct. I can get pics tomorrow. Its about 4 feet away.

I zip tie it when putting it up. You can use the zip ties to help stretch it a bit then go back and attach it. Over all I've gotten away from zip ties and like using bailing wire, hog rings, or j clips. They all last longer than plastic.

Oh and if you do use zip ties use the black ones. The white ones degrade faster outside in UV light. They cost about the same if any difference.
So you were using plastic zip ties?

So you were using plastic zip ties?

I used to. Used the black ones and they are good for maybe 5 years. The white ones are good for maybe 1 if they get any sunlight.

Metal zip ties are great but costly. Look up investing in hog rings and the pliers to install them or the cheaper option is bailing wire and a pair of linesman pliers to twist the wire.

I have these. Most people say to use metal zip ties. I'm curious, what is "better" in your opinions? Speaking to the group...
I use hog rings for most of the attaching (for me, it's hardware cloth to chain link) due to cost and relative ease of use.

I use metal zip ties for attaching to things that are too big for hog rings, i.e. attaching the hardware cloth to the gate frame. You can see a black UV resistant tie here, but I replaced it with metal.

gate.jpg

There is about a 2 inch gap between the door and the next metal pool on each side. How do I predator proof that?

As far as how to cover the gap between gate and door frame, neo71665 has a great suggestion. The way I did it is somewhat similar - I overextended the hardware cloth so it sticks out a couple inches around the frame, and also on the door itself. When the gate is closed, the extended pieces sandwich over each other for coverage. Note that the gate will only swing one way once this is done, so you need to decide which direction you want to swing it before installing.

Back
Top Bottom