Attaching hardware cloth to chicken wired run

I use hog rings for most of the attaching (for me, it's hardware cloth to chain link) due to cost and relative ease of use.

I use metal zip ties for attaching to things that are too big for hog rings, i.e. attaching the hardware cloth to the gate frame. You can see a black UV resistant tie here, but I replaced it with metal.

View attachment 3111470

As far as how to cover the gap between gate and door frame, neo71665 has a great suggestion. The way I did it is somewhat similar - I overextended the hardware cloth so it sticks out a couple inches around the frame, and also on the door itself. When the gate is closed, the extended pieces sandwich over each other for coverage. Note that the gate will only swing one way once this is done, so you need to decide which direction you want to swing it before installing.
Happen to have a couple additional pics of the way you did the door? Also, am curious if the metal you have in front of the hardware cloth is extra protection?

Ok...a pic of the Overeasy chicken door and ramp and space between that and the run. How do I have a tunnel leading from coop to run where I can still close securely the chicken door?

Attachments

• 16528056743078678649544430365386.jpg
    16528056743078678649544430365386.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 16528057893015213984594040956221.jpg
    16528057893015213984594040956221.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
If you use zip ties keep in mind that just because they're black color, does not automatically mean they're UV stable/outdoor rated. Look for product info specifying UV rating! I've used many black zip ties that weren't UV stable and they degrade after a year or so. I've got some UV stable zip ties that are going on like 6yrs and I can't break them by hand.

Personally I like UV rated zip ties and galvanized fence wire. No messing with hog rings for me, way too much work, lol.

Happen to have a couple additional pics of the way you did the door? Also, am curious if the metal you have in front of the hardware cloth is extra protection?
Don't happen to have any on hand, I'll try and snap some photos tomorrow if I remember to.

The extra piece of metal across the front is actually to keep the chickens in when I open the gate. It's a wire closet shelf (previous owner left a bunch of them in the greenhouse). But it does provide a little bit of extra protection... I've actually found a dead rat with its head stuck between the wires.

Back
Top Bottom