Attaching hardware cloth to wood with stapler gun?

Pics
I am currently remodeling an old rabbit hutch (probably about 6 years old) and when I built it I used both poultry staples, hammered in, and a handheld staple gun. This hutch held up to multiple racoons in the past. I noticed: 1) Those poultry staples are NOT ever coming out, even though I want them to. We cut around them and covered them with trim this time around. 2) The staples I put in with the gun are not holding up and would have easily been infiltrated by a predator 3) The staples my husband put in with the same gun are dang strong! I had to really work to get them out. If I were adding anymore welded wire, I would have him staple them in with the gun. Maintenance is always a thing too. Check and re staple if needed.
Yeah I bought an old snowmobile trailer and enclosed the sides to use for our cardboard recycling.
. 2x4's and I used hardware cloth as siding to keep it light. I stapled every 2 or 3 squares vertically with just a 3/8 staple and that isn't going anywhere. I also believe the HWC would break before the staples ripped out.

Yeah I bought an old snowmobile trailer and enclosed the sides to use for our cardboard recycling.
. 2x4's and I used hardware cloth as siding to keep it light. I stapled every 2 or 3 squares vertically with just a 3/8 staple and that isn't going anywhere. I also believe the HWC would break before the staples ripped out.

This is the setup I use. Staples from 1/2" to 1-1/4" long. I tried to pull some out that didn't drive in all the way using my linesman pliers and they wouldn't budge. Had to break them off.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 3.31.39 PM.png

If I had the time and dexterity and money I'd use the screws and washers, but once you get the mesh edge lined up attaching it with the pneumatic stapler is really fast. And I know it's a pretty much permanent installation. If it ever comes down the HWC will have to be cut, and the remaining lumber will be a mess with all the staples left in it.

This is the setup I use. Staples from 1/2" to 1-1/4" long. I tried to pull some out that didn't drive in all the way using my linesman pliers and they wouldn't budge. Had to break them off.
So glad I asked. I didn't know if those of you talking about pneumatic staplers were talking about the crown staples -- I think some of those actually have glue on them and stick like a ring shank nail -- or a more normal construction version of a home staple, like the T50's, also driveable by a pneumatic gun or "auto staple gun."

Back
Top Bottom