attaching the chicken ramp onto the coop?

nursebecky99

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2012
Alamance County NC
Not sure how to attach the ramp onto the front of the coop...Any ideas, pics and suggestions are welcome. I will post a pic of what I have in a minute, its on phone, so have to be on mobile BYC to do it.

I attached my ramp with a heavy duty hinge. I hinged it so I can fold it up out of the way when I cut the grass. But over time, there is not a lot of grass there to mow anymore, so it doesn't get folded up much. You can see the hinge at the top of the ramp in the pic below.
Jack

900x900px-LL-34f7fafc_55557_img_1362.jpeg

I attached my ramp with a heavy duty hinge. I hinged it so I can fold it up out of the way when I cut the grass. But over time, there is not a lot of grass there to mow anymore, so it doesn't get folded up much. You can see the hinge at the top of  the ramp in the pic below.
Jack

900x900px-LL-34f7fafc_55557_img_1362.jpeg

I think a hinge might work well.

My ramps are attached to the underside of the porch, but the hinge looks like the simplest way to attach to a coop. My chickens are mature, and don't use the ramp for much of anything. Generally they jump up onto the porch to go into the coop.

Yes, they have a porch. It is a long story.

Chris

I used a drawer handle and a piece of hardware, think it's actually part of a cabinet latch. Works great and I can remove the ramp to clean it or the run. In case anyone wonders what the bent wire is, the feeder hangs under the ramp. Keeps the rain off and easy access for filling.

For 3 out of the 4 coops I have, I just took a piece of quarter round that I had laying around and attached it to the underside at the top edge of the ramp to sort of make a wedge. I then just got a large branch, cut it to a little wider than the ramp and attached the branch to just below the chicken door. The ramp just sits atop the branch like so:

Clear as mud, eh?
big_smile.png

Not sure why my image isn't showing but you can click on my profile; scroll down to my pictures and see what I'm referring to.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, thanks so much. I ended up using the hooks and eye screws since i had them on hand. Now, to get the girls to actually use the ramp! They walk onto first rung and then flap out and jump to the ground.

Ty, I just finished my coop and moved chicks in yesterday. Now I need to start working on the run. Wasn't sure how to put ramp to the outside . Love the hook idea.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom