attack houdan rooster

honeyk

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
easton, pa
My Houdan rooster has just become very aggressive. We were able to handle him up until a few days ago when he started fighting with our 2 other Banty roosters (got all the roosters by accident). Yesterday I went into the barn and the Houdan flew at me and grabbed my hand. Went in again this morning to check everyone out and he went behind me and grabbed my leg. Both times he drew blood. What should we do?

Well, the decision is up to you. I've heard the best thing to do with aggressive birds is to cull them. Some people who raise exhibition birds will "overlook" aggression because the bird is otherwise physically a good breeder.

I do not think there is a way to give him an attitude adjustment safely. If you've been handling him then it's not a fear issue, it is an aggression issue.

Personally, I have no need for a bird who attacks me. So, if he was mine and drew blood deliberately he would be culled.

-Kim

Last edited:
I sometimes put my young roosters in with my older bigger roosters to teach them their manners. I have a big run in which I keep all my roosters, from Silkies to Cochins.They all get along fine, with minimal squabbles.
If I have a young bully, in he goes and the rest whip him into shape and he learns being a bully isn't so nice!
lol.png

My husband thinks he can manage him or pehaps we should give him to someone. I really don't think anyone needs a rooster that has shown such aggression. It's like placing a dog that's a biter.

Is there such a thing a rooster that simply attacks people and not the other birds?

We have the same problem with our roo. He was only attacking me and my son, so we avoided him. But now he has taken a few shots at my husband (who thought he could manage him). So now we are looking to rehome him. He is too aggressive and we like to enjoy our hens and we have little kids.

My houdan did the same thing. I had raised him from a chick but he still decided to be mean. He would go after anybody that came in the pen. Let's just say he was yummy.
smile.png

From what I have read, this is very common once the cockeral reaches maturity. Even more so with a bird that you have handled a lot or have been friendly with up until his transformation. The friendliness you have established with him now turns into a need to dominate once his natural instincts kick in. It is more likely he will be aggressive with you if he is already not afraid of you. I am told if this happens, you need to establish dominance with him, just as would happen in the flock. When attacked, you need to subdue him.
Get a hold of him and simply hold him to the ground for a few minutes. Do this everytime he is aggressive and he will soon settle into his place of not top dog, but second in command. If the aggression does not abate, then you have other options. This is simply the social order of chickens. The rooster is not suddenly becoming mean or evil. This is chickens being chickens.

He is very unlikely to get better IMO. You can certainly try to 'reform' him, but he's dangerous! Human aggression is somewhat affected by handling, but appears to be mostly genetic. It is separate from their behavior with other chickens. Fighting bird people cull 'man fighters', and in general their birds, who will happily kill each other, are very human friendly. Rehoming such a bird without full disclosure might get someone really injured, especially a child. Invite him to dinner! Mary

Back
Top Bottom