- 1) Matilda is a hen, 5 months old, and a Rhode Island.
2) She is laying down most the time and had not been eating or drinking a ton. She has fine more today though.
3) She was attacked, by a weasel we guess, a day and a half ago. We guess weasel because another one of her sisters were dead with just it's head missing inside the coop. And we found brown fur by a small hole to top.
4) Thank God none of my other birds were hurt and they are living life like normal.
5) I am not sure if her not moving that much is because of trauma or neck strain. She can move her neck on her own and lift it up, but she only keeps it up for a short time.
7) I have been getting her to take small doses of Aspirin to help the swelling and pain. She has eaten a little yogurt and oats today. Water is harder to tell.
8) She has not pooped.
9) She is in a cage in our bathtub. She is comfortable and does move but not much.
10 ) I hope to be able to treat her myself if at all possible.
11) pictures attached. Ignore the apple in her mouth in a couple of the photos . That's how I get the Aspirin in her.
12) I'm using newspaper to keep the eye clean. We don't want pine shavings in it. We did disinfect around the eye and cleaned with water. Put ointment on neck wound. Antibiotic spray is coming tomorrow for the eye.
- All of this is to ask for any advice. This is my first injured chicken. I'm wondering if I should put a neck brace on her, she keeps laying weird on it but i don't want to stress her out too much either.