Attack of the mosquitos!!

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
Hi all! I live in FL and mosquitos are a constant problem. I honestly never thought about them affecting my girls. But tonight when I went out to lock up the coop, I shined a flashlight in to make sure all girls were accounted for and was horrified at what I saw! There were hundreds, if not thousands, of mosquitos swarming my poor girls:hit Does anyone have any suggestions on natural ways I can help control the mosquitos and give my poor girls some reprieve? I've read a bunch of stuff online, but not sure how much of it actually works so I'd like to get some suggestions.

I am a mosquito magnet so to sit on our deck overlooking our ducks on the pond, I have planters with the following: basil, rosemary, lemon balm, lemon grass, lemon time, sage, lavender and citronella plants. That being said, some of these are okay for chickens to eat and I'm willing to bet that some aren't. I also don't know if you can maybe use a hanging planter to keep your chicks out of it or not.

If someone has a better suggestion, I am all ears and open minded.

Screening helps, but if the coop door is opened all day, it will have limited usefulness.
Don't get bitten yourself!!!
Repellant plants, like citronella flavored geraniums, may help, if the birds don't eat them first.
Mary

Thank you everyone! I'm going to put some screen over the windows and see if that helps.

I didn't know you could put skin so soft on them. I will try that too.

I feel so bad for them. When I opened the coop this morning it was still full of those dang blood suckers! A giant cloud came pouring out when I opened the door.

Back
Top Bottom