We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Attack of the mosquitos!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by showjumper_girl2002, Aug 14, 2019.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Songster

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Hi all! I live in FL and mosquitos are a constant problem. I honestly never thought about them affecting my girls. But tonight when I went out to lock up the coop, I shined a flashlight in to make sure all girls were accounted for and was horrified at what I saw! There were hundreds, if not thousands, of mosquitos swarming my poor girls:hit Does anyone have any suggestions on natural ways I can help control the mosquitos and give my poor girls some reprieve? I've read a bunch of stuff online, but not sure how much of it actually works so I'd like to get some suggestions.

Chickenheadmate likes this.
  2. slippednfell

slippednfell Songster

Apr 20, 2019
    AK - OZARK Mountains
    I am a mosquito magnet so to sit on our deck overlooking our ducks on the pond, I have planters with the following: basil, rosemary, lemon balm, lemon grass, lemon time, sage, lavender and citronella plants. That being said, some of these are okay for chickens to eat and I'm willing to bet that some aren't. I also don't know if you can maybe use a hanging planter to keep your chicks out of it or not.

If someone has a better suggestion, I am all ears and open minded.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Pyrethrin spray in the coop and on the birds, or the longer lasting but not organically approver permethrin spray or dust.
    During the day the birds will eat them, but not overnight.
    Mary

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I don't know your setup, but can you put up screen? You can buy it by the yard at many home improvement stores.

5. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    I use a trap called a dynatrap, it attracts with a light then sucks them in, that has worked great for me.

6. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Screening helps, but if the coop door is opened all day, it will have limited usefulness.
    Don't get bitten yourself!!!
    Repellant plants, like citronella flavored geraniums, may help, if the birds don't eat them first.
    Mary

7. so lucky

so lucky Crowing

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Would a fan help? I think it helps with gnats.

123RedBeard and aart like this.
  8. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Yes, if it can be set up safely. Not a gale, but air movement is good.
    Mosquitoes aren't the health risk to the chickens that they are to us!
    Mary

9. TwoChicksChix

TwoChicksChix Songster

May 29, 2019
    West Palm Beach Florida
    So I live in Florida as well. I have a screen up over all windows and areas that mosquitos might be able to get in.

I also have skin so soft that I spray them with at night to keep the mosquitos away.

10. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Songster

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to put some screen over the windows and see if that helps.

I didn't know you could put skin so soft on them. I will try that too.

I feel so bad for them. When I opened the coop this morning it was still full of those dang blood suckers! A giant cloud came pouring out when I opened the door.

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: