Attacked, but by whom? **graphic

J_Yonts

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
I had two girls attacked early this morning. One made it back to the coop, and is in recovery the other did not. I can't figure out who got them. I live in a small neighborhood in a rual area. We hear coyote, but they have never come into the neighborhood. We do have a retention pond close by and the geese are migrating and nesting there.

1- Australarp- 6 yrs old, healthy, survivor.
Missing feathers from back of neck. In recovery.
2- Golden- 1 yr old, healthy, deceased. Feathers removed from backnof neck, 1 identifiable puncture mark.

The Golden's feathers are in a trail, from the fence to the garden and then in a large circle. I found her in the middle of the circle. So, what ever got her she tried to run/fight (she was mean) But I don't know why there is a big circle.

The Australarp's feathers are all in a grouping.

Any ideas of my predator?

Attachments

• 20230321_101433.jpg
    20230321_101433.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230321_101455.jpg
    20230321_101455.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230321_101502.jpg
    20230321_101502.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230321_094836.jpg
    20230321_094836.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
I would guess either a dog or a coyote because those look like dog bites. But I could be wrong. Although if you have some stray dogs or dogs that escape often in your neighborhood then I would definitely consider that as a possibility.

I had two girls attacked early this morning. One made it back to the coop, and is in recovery the other did not. I can't figure out who got them. I live in a small neighborhood in a rual area. We hear coyote, but they have never come into the neighborhood. We do have a retention pond close by and the geese are migrating and nesting there.

1- Australarp- 6 yrs old, healthy, survivor.
Missing feathers from back of neck. In recovery.
2- Golden- 1 yr old, healthy, deceased. Feathers removed from backnof neck, 1 identifiable puncture mark.

The Golden's feathers are in a trail, from the fence to the garden and then in a large circle. I found her in the middle of the circle. So, what ever got her she tried to run/fight (she was mean) But I don't know why there is a big circle.

The Australarp's feathers are all in a grouping.

Any ideas of my predator?
Looks like dog bites. Dogs and opossum seem to be the common predators.

Mammal.

Not coyote, bobcat or large dog because they would be able to control bird more during attack so as not to leave strung out feather trail. Carcasses would be removed excepting with some dogs.

Fox (Red or Gray) sometimes has trouble getting a larger chicken down also most damage I have seen involved bite wounds to back. Bites to neck usually do not involved much in the way of tearing like shown. Would leave a feather trail like shown

Racoon would have trouble controlling larger chicken and delivers lots of tearing bites to neck and back. Raccoon may also target head although chicken will try to keep its head free. Would life a feather trail like shown.

Mammal.

Not coyote, bobcat or large dog because they would be able to control bird more during attack so as not to leave strung out feather trail. Carcasses would be removed excepting with some dogs.

Fox (Red or Gray) sometimes has trouble getting a larger chicken down also most damage I have seen involved bite wounds to back. Bites to neck usually do not involved much in the way of tearing like shown. Would leave a feather trail like shown

Racoon would have trouble controlling larger chicken and delivers lots of tearing bites to neck and back. Raccoon may also target head although chicken will try to keep its head free. Would life a feather trail like shown.
I'm guessing g a 4 footed something. I guess all I can do it try and figure out how it got in so I can keep the rest of my girls. I can put a Trail cam out this evening, see if it comes back.

Pond nearby? Maybe mink or weasel. Known to kill by biting neck.

Dogs would have played with it till it was a slobbery mess and stopped making noise.

Fox or coyote would have taken body elswhere to eat it and left the same way they got in.

Hawk or owl are possible, but likely you would find puncture Mark's elswhere on the body.

Possum, racoon...maybe if they just got started and you scared them off.

Trail cam is a good idea.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom