Attacked by dog.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by insmokesimage, Dec 9, 2013.

1. insmokesimage

insmokesimage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    One of my Americanas flew into the dog pen and was attacked. My poor girl is now limping when she does walk. The only visible injuries are on one leg which explains the limp but no other marks. She is not eating or drinking well and her poops are all white and creamy. She just sits there. Is there a type of pain killer that can be given? Would there be internal injuries causing the all white poops? Please help. I really don't want to put this girl down. Thanks for reading.

2. ilovethechickns

ilovethechickns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Carstairs, AB
    I am dealing with a recent dog attack on my chickens, too, and there are a lot of threads on this forum already about treating dog bites. There is TONS of useful, helpful, encouraging info! I'm just learning too, but just search "dog bite" in the forums and you'll see what I mean! I highly doubt you will have to put the hen down. They are tough as nails!!!! :)

3. insmokesimage

insmokesimage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Thank you but it has turned for the worst. She is not eating or drinking. Even with a syringe she won't drink. She is drooling, labored breathing and she won't open her eyes. I hate to make her suffer just to make me feel better knowing that she probably won't survive. Thank you for the support.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry to hear about your hen. Sometimes they have internal injuries that can't be helped. White in the droppings is urine, so maybe she has some kidney damage, or it's a reaction to her injuries. Tube feeding can be done if you think she might make it, but her injuries may be too bad. Just make her comfortable.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by